Threads Marked Read For New Accounts & Memberlist Issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Beggs4

Threads Marked Read For New Accounts & Memberlist Issue

Post by Beggs4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:15 am

I'm currently experiencing a couple of issues that I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

The first is that all posts are already marked read for new accounts upon registering, activating, and logging in for the first time. This obviously isn't a good look, as it makes it seem like users are signing up for a board where there's no activity. Before we moved servers, we had some issues which resulted in tables crashing and having to be repaired through phpMyAdmin, so I'm wondering if this is related. This is the more pressing issue of the two, so if there's a fix, I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction!

The second issue is that newly registered and activated accounts generally don't show up on the memberlist. I thought this might be related to the WordPress-to-phpBB3 Bridge I'm using, but I've tried disabling that plugin at both ends, to no avail. Again, I'm wondering if it goes back to some of the issues we had after tables crashed on the old server.

I'm currently using v3.0.14. We have a downloads section attached to the board, so we have to work a few things out with that before upgrading to 3.1. If there's any other useful information I can provide, please let me know. I have complete access via FTP, cPanel, etc.

Appreciate any suggestions or solutions. :)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Threads Marked Read For New Accounts & Memberlist Issue

Post by Mick » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Beggs4

Post by Beggs4 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 am

Apologies for that! I haven't had to ask for support too many times over the years, so I forgot all about that procedure. Here it is:

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.14
What is your board's URL? http://forums.nba-live.com/
Who do you host your board with? Turnkey
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Please select your answer
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What MODs do you have installed? - Custom Title 2.0 Beta 2
- Prime Trash Bin
Prime BBCode Spoiler
Quick reply
Username_Colour_Change_MOD_v1-0-2
Convert quoted images to links
Subforum display options
Automod
Prime Links
Prime Topic Move
Video BBCode
RedBar3
Add Forum User
Hotschi's Download MOD
What styles do you currently have installed? ProSilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Tables have been repaired through phpMyAdmin after server issues on our old host caused a couple of them to crash. The first issue seems to have happened after one of the early crashes and repairs.
Please describe your problem. The first (and most pressing) issue is that all new posts are immediately marked read for newly registered accounts, upon logging in for the first time. This makes it appear as though there's no activity going on with the board, when that isn't the case.

The second is that for long stretches of time, new members don't show up in the memberlist. I thought it might be related to a WordPress-to-phpBB plugin I was using, but disabling it at both ends doesn't resolve the problem
Generated by SRT Generator

Beggs4

Post by Beggs4 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 am

Apologies for the bump, but any insight into these issues? If there are any further details I can provide that would be helpful, please let me know.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

With regards to all posts being marked as read when a user registers, this is intentional behaviour. Imagine all posts being marked unread on this board when a user registers. We don't really expect any of them to go through 4 million posts, right? To me it's perfectly normal to only be notified with the "new posts" icon when a post is made to a topic after I joined the board so I can see what's really new. :)

For your second issue, we see that over here too sometimes, it takes maybe some hours or a day even for new accounts to show up in the memberlist, it might be related to a bit of aggressive caching. Does it seem like that might be happening to you too, or do the members don't get added to the list at all?
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Beggs4

Post by Beggs4 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for the clarification on the first issue. I could've sworn that it used to show unread posts to newly registered users (from before they joined), but I might've been mistaken, or thinking of an older version of phpBB...or maybe that was actually a glitch I encountered at some point with our boards, and came to believe that that was the way it worked. In any case, thanks for clearing that up. :)

It seems that members aren't getting added, except in bunches every now and again. For example, the most recent accounts in the memberlist are from January, but we're constantly getting new people signing up (and the "newest member" display on the index is still working properly). As I said, I thought it might be a conflict with the WordPress bridge, but disabling that at both ends doesn't make a difference.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am

FWIW - there are no threads with phpBB they are topics.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Beggs4

Post by Beggs4 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 am

I guess over the years I've developed a bad habit of using the terms "thread" and "topic" interchangeably. I am indeed referring to topics here.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”