Moving Forum to New Host

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
goss

Moving Forum to New Host

Post by goss »

Hello, I am a novice and am in charge of a phpBB forum V 3.0.11. My host has given notice so I have moved and need to rebuild my website which I have inherited as it is very cluttered. My concern is obtaining a complete backup of the forum so I can send it to my new space.

I am currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and can see forum files but cant find database etc. What is the best way to backup phpBB as I am worried that fixing a poor backup once sent to my new host will be beyond my skills.

Regards

Goss
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Moving Forum to New Host

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you have to get the database backup from the old host.

if you have cpanel on the old host, there is a backup option . choose the partial backup.

then click each button and back that up to your computer. then go back and choose the next button and make that backup to your computer etc.

or, you can ask your old host for the backups to see if they will do it for you.

and, if none of that works, you can follow the instructions found here to do it manually:
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
goss

Post by goss »

That's great, thanks.

Goss
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

If I would be at your place I would take the opinion to update to a more recent version of phpBB at the same time
david63

Post by david63 »

Some hosts will offer a service to move a site fron your old host to the new one - it might be worth asking them
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
goss

Post by goss »

juliokr wrote:If I would be at your place I would take the opinion to update to a more recent version of phpBB at the same time
Is there any chance of complicating the move or it makes no difference?

Goss
goss

Post by goss »

david63 wrote:Some hosts will offer a service to move a site fron your old host to the new one - it might be worth asking them
They offered this from a new host but they are a German company and English support is poor and the prices are 300% higher.
The site has 13 years of junk on it as the last webmaster didn't delete anything so it's now easier to start from scratch.

Goss
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

goss wrote:I am currently using Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver and Frontpage are not good choices when it comes to file editors (find out why). See Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB for suggestions.

Is there any reason you can't follow this?
Just make sure you have a GOOD board database backup then if you can't get the rest of it (files etc.) it isn't the end of the world.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
goss

Post by goss »

Mick wrote:
Dreamweaver and Frontpage are not good choices when it comes to file editors (find out why). See Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB for suggestions.

Is there any reason you can't follow this?
Just make sure you have a GOOD board database backup then if you can't get the rest of it (files etc.) it isn't the end of the world.
None at all, that's my plan.

Thanks.

Goss
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Mick wrote:
Frontpage :shock: does it still existe ????????
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

juliokr wrote:Frontpage :shock: does it still existe ????????
It's discontinued much like Duesenberg Motors but occasionally one will turn up in an old barn.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
goss

Post by goss »

Me again...

I have backed up a sql database unzipped at 47Mb and according to my new host I can upload this database (up to 200Mb) problem is that the now hosts username and passwords don't match my database. Is there any way I can change this information by editing my SQL file?

Regards

goss
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

they are not in your database backup file.
the database name/username and password from the old host have nothing to do with the new host.

you also do not need them to be able to import your old database to the new one.

you will need the database name/username and password for the new database on the new host.

the place you will need it is when you create your new board on the new host and/or when you are trying to import /restore the old database to the new one.
if you explain exactly, in detail, what you are doing we can tell you how to do it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Use phpmyadmin or a similar tool usually provided with your hosting account, create a blank DB with NO-credentials and import your old DB backup there. Your config.php file already contains the login credentials, just you should change the DB host in it (in most cases it's always the same -> localhost).
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
goss

Post by goss »

I'm on phpMyAdmin and my host has a database there with username and password so located my unzipped sql file that I backed up and clicked upload, appeared that 100% was uploaded but then:

SQL query:
-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.11.1.1
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Sep 30, 2016 at 05:01 PM
-- Server version: 4.0.27
-- PHP Version: 4.4.8
--
-- Database: `ukcbxc`
--