you need to upgrade to 3.1 not update your 3.0 board.
3.0 has reached end of life and support will go away completely in a couple of months.
3.2 is already in RC status and will be stable shortly.
as far as updating or upgrading, there is no loss of data during the process.
you do need to make complete backups just in case of course.
to upgrade from your current version to 3.1.10 follow these instructions exactly and in order and you will be fine.
Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.1.x
- Your server must be running at least PHP 5.3.3 and less than PHP 7
- Most MODs for 3.0.x are incompatible with 3.1.x and their functionality will be removed in the update process.
- Styles for 3.0.x cannot be installed or used on 3.1.x.
- Backup up your board's files and database
- Download the Support Toolkit. Install it and run the database cleaner to remove all old MODs from the database.
- Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
- Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
- Set British English as the only language pack
- Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
- Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.1.x Full Package (EXCEPT for
config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original
- Browse to
yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php and keep clicking the continue button until it says it is finished. This will take a long time on a large board, maybe hours. Dont give up.
- Delete the folder named
- Hold one foot in the air and spin around in a circle three times saying "I am a phpbb guru".
and remeber, none of the 3.0.x styles or MODs will work in 3.1 so you will have to look at installing extensions for whatever MODs you have now and choosing a new style if you are using anything other than prosilver.