local phpBB

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DWFII
Name: D.W.

local phpBB

Post by DWFII »

When I first was looking into phpBB someone here recommended a process and a piece of software that allowed me to set up a trial phpBB board locally...on my desktop, IIRC.

I don't remember what the software was nor the procedure. Can someone point me in the right direction and / or provide a link both to the software and the instructions for setting it up?
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: local phpBB

Post by Mick »

"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

^ Yes, I believe that's it. the software is the same as i was thinking...don't have time to look through the instructions right now (have bookmarked)

Thank you!
DWFII

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Be aware there are a few different software packages that to do that, the KB mentions XAMPP but there are others like WAMP (which I use) LAMP and MAMP etc. but they all generally do the same thing, have a look here.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

One more thing to add:
XAMPP comes in a variety of versions depending on the PHP version included - make sure to pick one with a PHP version of 5.4 or above but lower than 7 ;)

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Thanks guys.

If I recall correctly, installing phpBB locally ends up with a pretty vanilla installation.

I have an active, fairly long standing and somewhat modified Forum on the Internet. It was converted from an old Discus forum by a sometime member of the development team here (who has since moved on if I'm not mistaken) and may be somewhat fragile.

Which is one of the reasons I am taking another look at this...

Is there a list of files, etc., that I can copy from my server to my local installation to duplicate all the salient features of my current forum--styles, colour, background, forum, subforum, and topic structure, and perhaps mods installed? Maybe even added graphics? Added smilies, etc.. Look and feel things.
DWFII

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if the board is phpbb then you can probably use the files to help you .
you would need the complete forum set of files and the complete database backup before you can start.

if it is phpbb then you can update it to the current version using the update methods available.

if it is not phpbb then there might be a convertor that will convert it to one of the older phpbb versions that you could then update to current.

we would have to see what you have in order to be able to answer any specific questions about how to go about any of this.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

It is phpBB and the address is www.thehcc.org.

I don't need anything converted. What I need to do is set up a local iteration to trial mods and so forth. But as I said, because it was converted from Discus and...at least as it was told to me...heavily modified, it may be fragile.

Every time I add a mod (just installed Advanced BBCode Box 3--and it's not working as advertised) I hold my breath knowing if it goes down, it's toast and I'm toast.
DWFII

Lumpy Burgertushie

well, actually you do need it converted. it is currently phpbb 2

in order to update you will have to convert from 2 to 3.1

if you update none of your MODs will work, none of your styles will work etc. but all of your posts and members and forums/topics etc. will still be there just as they are now.

you will have to find a new style and see if any of your MODs have been ported over to extensions for the newer versions.

now, if you want to keep phpbb2 then I would suggest you visit http://phpbb2refugess.com

that is about the only place left that offers any kind of support for it.

the last version of phpbb 2 was 2.0.23 and it reached end of life around 10 years ago.

luck,
robert

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Well, I don't think that's right. In my Administration Control, it says the version is 3.0.11.

Again, I'm not really or immediately interested in updating to the latest version or even a higher version right now (although that may be in the offing).

It's complicated--I am the webmaster and Forum Admin for a non-profit, tax-exempt, 501 C-3 organization. There are some restive elements in our organization who think they can improve on what is there. The implication is legendary coding and computer skills beyond what is available in the native phpBB software...I don't know but it wouldn't be all that surprising compared to me, as I have none.

I want to provide them with a way to experiment and make modifications without endangering the current board.
DWFII

Lumpy Burgertushie

sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the wrong number. I was looking at the xand style number on your site.

so, you will not have to convert from 2 to 3
you will be able upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1

however, you will still not be able to use your xand style or any MODs you have installed if you decide to upgrade to 3.1 or 3.2

as for something they can work on without hurting the live board, installing it on a computer or even just create a copy on the live server will do that very easily.

sorry for the confusion.

robert

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: as for something they can work on without hurting the live board, installing it on a computer or even just create a copy on the live server will do that very easily.

robert
I just don't want to give them "keys to the cabinet"...I'm a cautious. if not suspicious, sort.
DWFII

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you have a local copy running on your PC via WAMP etc, it can't be got at from the outside unless you allow it.

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

^ I understand that. Thank you.

I am half a mind to make these fellows recreate the forum from scratch...but I was considering making the configuration files --styles, themes, mods etc.,--available to them just to save them the work and myself the hassle of telling them "no, no it's not like that."
DWFII

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”