Questions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
JDPF2016

Questions

Post by JDPF2016 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:06 am

We have a phpbb installed and has been working fine for a few years. It is version 3.0.8. We are, however, making some upgrades to our server. We are moving from MySql 5.1 to 5.6. My question are:

1. Will upgrading our MySql adversely affect our phpbb version 3.0.8?

2. We'd like to upgrade our phpbb to the latest version. Where can I find detailed information on how to do that?

3. We also have an older version of phpbb (version 2.0.7) that we used many years ago. Can we export that data and import it into the newest version once it has been upgraded?

4. Would it make more sense to install the newest version and export/import the data and registrants from the two older versions? If so, where can I find detailed information on how to export/import data and registrant information?

5. Based on how intricate all of the above are, where can we find a list of people who could do this work for us?

Thanks for your help with this.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Questions

Post by JimA » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi, welcome to phpBB.com. :)

1. phpBB should behave fine with both.

2. For your 3.0.8 board, you'd need to upgrade to 3.1.x, which is relatively easy. Exact instructions on how to do this can be found in our upgrading section in the User Guide, over here.

3. For that you'd need to do a conversion, exact instructions for upgrading that are these:
Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you’re happy it’s all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
4. Merging installations is generally very difficult. I'd recommend you upgrade both boards to the latest version of phpBB (for security reasons) and then use of them to continue using and the other one as an archive for users to look up old topics/posts if they wish to do so.

5. According to our board rules, it's not allowed to solicit people for your own (paid) private work openly on the board. We would be more than willing to help you go through this process yourselves if you post a topic in the support forums with your questions. If you after that still intend to let somebody else to the work, we usually recommend you look at signatures of team or community members here on the board. Many of them including a line allowing you to contact them for private work.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

JDPF2016

Post by JDPF2016 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank you for your welcome and reply. Greatly appreciated!

It would be nice if there was a section that had a list of reputable programmers for those who don't want to tackle the programming.

But since there isn't, I'll spend some time looking for potential candidates as this work is beyond what we'd like to handle.

Thanks again!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

just FYI, there is no programming needed for any of what you asked other than the merging of two different sets of data to merge two different boards.

all you have to be able to do is to copy and paste and upload and download files via ftp to your hosting account server.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”