Need help moving to different server

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Cpt. Fantastic

Need help moving to different server

Post by Cpt. Fantastic » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:54 am

I'm trying to move from a host, in which I don't currently have access to the backend (cpanel), but I do have admin access to the forum. I want to move it to a personal server where I do have full control of all aspects. I've been trying to backup using the built in backup function in the admin panel, but when I restore to my personal server, it doesn't work.

Is there a tutorial or instructions on how to do it under these circumstances? I've spent a lot of time reading, but it seems most instructions talk about having SQL access and using something like mysqladmin which i don't have access to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Current board is running 3.0.10
New board will be on 3.1.10. Although i tried restoring the backup file to a 3.0.14 install. Didn't help.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Need help moving to different server

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Generally Knowledge Base - Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain suffices but if you're having issues with backups performed via the ACP and don't have access to phpMyAdmin you may have to ask your host for a copy of the database. Is this a free forum host by any chance?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Cpt. Fantastic

Post by Cpt. Fantastic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:12 am

It's not a free host, it's one of the forum members who allowed us to host off his companies webhosting (he owns the company). He's been AWOL for a while, I've reached out to him with no response yet. So, unless he responds, i won't have any access to the DB or backend. ACP backup/restore is not working for me. This forum isn't large, but it's old (circa 2003). So i guess with that much history, maybe my DB size is overwhelming the ACP option.

I tried the link you posted before I created my post. My only option on that list currently is ACP. On the new server (my own personal server) i have full control. Can i do anything with that ACP backup instead of just loading it through ACP restore? maybe i can use some other tool to load it? any ideas there?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:39 am

Cpt. Fantastic wrote:but when I restore to my personal server, it doesn't work
What is the problem with the restore?

If the problem is with the size of the backup file timing out when you restore then a couple of suggestions:

1. Increase the file size and/or execution time in your php.ini file

2. Save the file as text and then break it down into smaller bits and load them manually via phpMyAdmin
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Cpt. Fantastic

Post by Cpt. Fantastic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Well, the restore seems to go fine. But nothing works. It shows that i have like 40,000 posts, but i have no forums. The restore seems to be missing some things. I tried restoring to both a 3.1.x instance and a 3.0.x instance and the same thing happened. Seems to put some things into place but not others.

Cpt. Fantastic

Post by Cpt. Fantastic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Ah ha, i got access to the backend today. I'll follow the knowledge base article and hopefully it'll work out fine. Thanks for the help so far.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”