Identifying Mods

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
richxrich

Identifying Mods

Post by richxrich »

Hello,

I recently took over admin duties for my local community forum. I'm by no means a technical person so all this is new to me and I'm learning as I go. Please be patient with me if I don't fully understand the technical speak and ask for clarifications. :)

Our forum version has been stuck at 3.0.12 for some time now and I'd like to get us current and move us to 3.1.10. My understanding is that Mods are no longer supported in 3.1; going forward they will be extensions. I'd like to identify any Mods that were installed beyond the base installation of 3.0 and install the necessary extensions once we've moved to 3.1.10.

Where do I need to look for the Mods and how do I know whether it's a Mod v. the base install?

Thanks.

R
david63

Re: Identifying Mods

Post by david63 »

This can be difficult if you have not been involved with adding the MODs.

If you have Automod installed (it would be in the ACP if it is) then that will be a good starting point, but there is no guarantee that all MODs will have been installed using Automod.

There might be some clues is you look at what files have been loaded compared to a clean set of files. There is also the (very) long-winded way of doing a file compare of your files with a clean set of files.

Is there any chance that the previous Admin may know?

A link to your site might help some on here to identify some MODs that have been installed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

The previous Admin is no longer around... hasn't been for some time, which is why I'm taking over. It's hard to say whether he installed them or not. I believe some of the mods may have been installed even prior to his taking over.

From what I can recall, we installed an Add User mod (in the.MODS tab), birthday mod, PayPay donation button/mod, and Tapatalk compatibility. I'm not sure what else.

Our forum is located at forum.sfbaaps.org but it is a closed group. It requires registration before getting access to the content.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

add user from the admin panel is available as an extension,
so is tapatalk although it is not needed since 3.1 is responsive and works in smaller devices just fine,
tapatalk is also know for causing some problems with phpbb

I believe there is a paypal donation extension already.

I am not sure what a "birthday mod " is. phpbb has birthdays as default.

I would suggest that you install 3.1 according to the instructions . that will remove all MODs from the database.
it will also replace all files with current 3.1 files so that removes all MODs from the files.

then see what your needs are for adding extensions. I would suggest installing the add user one and maybe the paypal one to start with.

then see what your members require.

Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.1.x
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.3.3 and less than PHP 7
  • Most MODs for 3.0.x are incompatible with 3.1.x and their functionality will be removed in the update process.
  • Styles for 3.0.x cannot be installed or used on 3.1.x.
  1. Backup up your board's files and database
  2. Download the Support Toolkit. Install it and run the database cleaner to remove all old MODs from the database.
  3. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.1.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php and keep clicking the continue button until it says it is finished. This will take a long time on a large board, maybe hours. Dont give up.
  9. Delete the folder named /install/
  10. Hold one foot in the air and spin around in a circle three times saying "I am a phpbb guru".
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

I've backed up the php files via the ACP. I'm working with our hosting company to back up the database.
Lumpy Burgertushie

sorry but you can't backup any php files from the admin control panel. the only backup there is of the database.

in order to backup your phpbb files, you need to access the server using ftp and download the complete set of folders/files of phpbb to your computer.
if you are letting your host do the backup for you, make sure you are getting the complete data and structure backup. just the data will not help you with an upgrade to 3.1

robert

richxrich

Post by richxrich »

OK... maybe I'm mixing up the two. So to clarify, the backup that's executed from the ACP (and written to /store) is the backup of the database? And to backup all the phpbb files, I need to copy everything via FTP.

Once I've done this and follow the instructions as noted, what are the chances of an error occurring? Will it be an very involved process to restore, in case of error?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you follow the instructions, the chances of an error are zero. Restoring would be easy if your db backup is good.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

LOL... In theory it seems simple enough. I'm just worried I might break the forum... :oops:
Lumpy Burgertushie

hence the reason for the backups.

do the backups properly, save them on your computer .
then do the steps above exactly and in order and you will be fine.
If, in the very slim chance that you break it all and there is nothing but ashes left, you are only a few clicks away from a complete recovery.

robert

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”