Admin gone, Organization wants to delete board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
spiffychick

Admin gone, Organization wants to delete board

Post by spiffychick » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Not sure what version 3.0 3.1 or 3.2 is running in this board, but picked the oldest one because it is several years old.

I helped set up this board about 3 years ago and turned the admin over to the organization.
http://csaforum.holcombfarm.com/index.php

Unfortunately, the woman running the forum has left, the forum is no longer wanted by the organization and they would like it deleted.

They will gladly provide you with current management credentials etc.

Can you help delete this board?

Thank you.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Admin gone, Organization wants to delete board

Post by JimA » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi there, welcome to phpBB.com! :)

We do not have any control over this board or any other board that's not on the *.phpbb.com domain. All we do is supply and maintain the software that the board runs on.

To properly and completely remove the board the administrator can simply delete all of the files from phpBB of the server and delete the database in the host's control panel for this domain.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:13 am

spiffychick wrote:Not sure what version 3.0 3.1 or 3.2 is running in this board
Judging from the theme it's 3.0.12.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

spiffychick

Post by spiffychick » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:40 pm

JimA - Thanks so much for your response. If we did delete the database from the website server itself, would the Board still exist out there in cyberspace for "members" who have gotten onto it? (primarily spammers now.) Could you supply a new admin login to the organization so that they can actually get rid of the Board altogether?

Thanks.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:59 pm

if you delete the database and the files the board is gone. period. it does not exist at all and nobody will be able to find it, access it etc.

phpbb.com has nothing to do with that board or any other board except their own.

nobody here has any access to any other phpbb board except their own.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:00 pm

spiffychick wrote: If we did delete the database from the website server itself, would the Board still exist out there in cyberspace for "members" who have gotten onto it?
The board as such would not exist and nobody would be able to access it. However it is possible that it may still show up in search engines for some time to come. There are procedures to have links removed from search engines but they are not simple to do and you would have to do each and every search engine individually.
spiffychick wrote:Could you supply a new admin login to the organization so that they can actually get rid of the Board altogether?
Nobody from here is able to do that - it can be done but only if you have direct access to the database.

Probably the easiest way to achieve what you are trying to do is via your hosts - although they may be reluctant without some authorisation from the account holder. Presumably somebody is paying for the hosting now - if they stop paying then the host will eventually delete the account and your board will disappear.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

spiffychick

Post by spiffychick » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Thank you all so much for your responsiveness and help.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

spiff

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”