How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by KevC »

Not really. The database is the important bit. That will have all your forums and permissions etc in it. You're going to upgrade that anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
kaptanjak

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, so can I just go into my server and delete the entire file then just upload and unzip 3.1?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You should unzip on your computer and upload the whole folder. Not all servers are configured to unzip the correct hierarchy on the server side.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, I just deleted all the old files and uploaded the new ones. Now when I go to my website (556files.com) there's this page that says "Introduction Welcome to phpBB3!" What do I do from here?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you have to run the database_update.php file before your site will work.

556files.com/install/database_update.php in your browser.

let it run, keep clicking the continue button until it gives you a success message.
then delete the folder named install and you are done.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, got it. I went ahead and renamed the install folder install.BAK just in case I need to do a reinstall somewhere in the future. Is that okay?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sure, that is up to you.
however, renaming it and letting us all know is not very secure.

I would delete it. If you ever need it ( not much chance of that ) you can always just upload it again from the copy you have of phpbb on your computer.
I see your board. good work.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

I wasn't aware of that. I renamed it so it's all good.

Thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”