How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
kaptanjak

How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by kaptanjak »

I disabled the newly registered user feature by setting the post limit to zero. But newly registered users still have to wait for mod approval for posts. How do I stop this? I want everyone to be able to post, at least in most forums, as soon as they register.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by KevC »

Remove everyone from the newly registered users group.

The new limit you have set is only applicable to people who register from now on. All the others are still in the group and require one modded post.

manage groups
Click members next to the newly reg'd group and then you can remove them all on the next screen.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by KevC »

By the way, I hope you haven't just installed 3.0.14. Support for that ends in 4 weeks time.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, I get it. Thanks.

Yes, I just saw that announcement. I used hostgator's quickinstall app and that's the version it installed. My forum is still in its R&D stage though (no members yet), so it's not a tragedy if I have to change some things. I really like the style I picked out though.

It's DGFX. Will I be able to keep that style when I upgrade to 3.1?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Styles and MODs are not transferable from 3.0 to 3.1
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Is there a version of DGFX for 3.1?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

No idea, you'd have to look in the styles database or contact the author.
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

I'm trying to upgrade to 3.1 using the instruction on this site, but holy schneikies I have no idea what's going on. Is there like a video or something with more detailed instructions?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

kaptanjak wrote:I'm trying to upgrade to 3.1 using the instruction on this site, but holy schneikies I have no idea what's going on. Is there like a video or something with more detailed instructions?
Not unless there's a third party one on the 'tube or something but following these instructions will get you upgraded:

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.3.3
  • Most MODs for 3.0.x are incompatible with 3.1.x and their functionality will be removed in the update process.
  • Styles for 3.0.x cannot be installed or used on 3.1.x.
  1. Backup up your board's files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  4. Set British English as the only language pack
  5. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  6. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.1.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  7. Browse to www.example.com/install/database_update.php
  8. Delete the /install/ directory
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

How do I back up the files and database? I don't know the difference between those two. Can I just use the backup feature in the ACP?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

kaptanjak wrote:How do I back up the files and database? I don't know the difference between those two
The files/folders are those that you see in your board root. The database is separate from the files and holds all the good stuff like your user information board layout etc.

See the "Backup" section of Knowledge Base - Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain for options how to do it.

Note: The above is assuming you have FTP and phpMyAdmin (or similar) access to your board?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

I can't get filezilla to work. It just says error and times out after 20 seconds. This stuff is all way above my head. Is there anyway to just start over with 3.1? I don't care if it deletes my forum. I can just start over.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Starting fresh will be pretty much the same steps as Mick posted. You still need to upload all the files.

Check with your hosts why the uploads aren't working. They may have a limit on uploads that needs removing.
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

I already checked that. I have the file size set to unlimited.
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

If I don't care about losing the current forum then do I still have to back it up?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”