How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by KevC »

Not really. The database is the important bit. That will have all your forums and permissions etc in it. You're going to upgrade that anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
kaptanjak

Re: How do I allow newly registered users to create threads and post without it going through a mod?

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, so can I just go into my server and delete the entire file then just upload and unzip 3.1?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You should unzip on your computer and upload the whole folder. Not all servers are configured to unzip the correct hierarchy on the server side.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, I just deleted all the old files and uploaded the new ones. Now when I go to my website (556files.com) there's this page that says "Introduction Welcome to phpBB3!" What do I do from here?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you have to run the database_update.php file before your site will work.

556files.com/install/database_update.php in your browser.

let it run, keep clicking the continue button until it gives you a success message.
then delete the folder named install and you are done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

Okay, got it. I went ahead and renamed the install folder install.BAK just in case I need to do a reinstall somewhere in the future. Is that okay?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sure, that is up to you.
however, renaming it and letting us all know is not very secure.

I would delete it. If you ever need it ( not much chance of that ) you can always just upload it again from the copy you have of phpbb on your computer.
I see your board. good work.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
kaptanjak

Post by kaptanjak »

I wasn't aware of that. I renamed it so it's all good.

Thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”