Update to a BBCode triggering a "403 Forbidden" server error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
xiaolu

Update to a BBCode triggering a "403 Forbidden" server error

Post by xiaolu »

My board is of phpBB 3.0.11

Sometime (but not ALL the time) when I update an existing BBCode via APC --> Posting, say updating its 'HTML replacement' code, the update gets rejected with a "403 Forbidden" server error (an error from hosting company I believe)

My question is, when such a BBCode is updated, is it an update to some database table record(s) ONLY? Or does it also update some file say under (phpbb_root)/whatever directory (if yes, what files under which direcotry)? I guess I am trying to find out if some file directory and/or files do not have correct access mode say 755?

Thanks!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Update to a BBCode triggering a "403 Forbidden" server error

Post by KevC »

It's likely to be your hosts mod_security being tripped. Just ask them to white-list whatever is being blocked at that moment.

BBcodes are all in the database.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
xiaolu

Post by xiaolu »

KevC wrote:It's likely to be your hosts mod_security being tripped. Just ask them to white-list whatever is being blocked at that moment.

BBcodes are all in the database.
Thanks. I did contact my webhosting company about this issue. I was told to offer my board admin user name and password so that some technical support person could try the same, and monitor what is blocked, etc. I was not feeling easy though to give out my password...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Change your password to something so they can test and then change it back to the one you usually use.

Or make a new admin account with limited access only to the permission for being able to make BBcodes.

permissions
administrators
edit permissions
posting tab
Can define BBCode tags
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
xiaolu

Post by xiaolu »

KevC wrote:Change your password to something so they can test and then change it back to the one you usually use.

Or make a new admin account with limited access only to the permission for being able to make BBcodes.

permissions
administrators
edit permissions
posting tab
Can define BBCode tags
Thank you! I will try this, then.
xiaolu

Post by xiaolu »

webhosting guy tried adjusting mod_security settings a number of times, but still gets the same error. so now I am asking the guy to disable mod_security altogether for my domain. I will see...
xiaolu

Post by xiaolu »

Update: I finally got webhosting company to disable mod_security for me, and problem solved.

Thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”