Board migration messed up all attachments

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
icycalm

Board migration messed up all attachments

Post by icycalm »

Hello. I am in urgent need of your assistance (especially since in a few days this support forum will be locked...)

I recently migrated my board from DreamHost to GoDaddy, and it seems that in the process all the attachments -- mainly videogame screenshots -- have been messed up.

I've no idea what I did wrong and what I should do now. Any assistance you may offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.9
What is your board's URL? No answer given
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Please select your answer
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What MODs do you have installed? No answer given
What styles do you currently have installed? A RocketTheme style
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I migrated the board to a new host (from DreamHost to GoDaddy).
Please describe your problem. All the attached files -- mostly videogame screenshots -- have been borked.
Generated by SRT Generator
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: Board migration messed up all attachments

Post by RMcGirr83 »

How did you move the files? Via FTP or something? They probably weren't download correctly via the FTP client.

PS Godaddy is not good when it comes to running a phpBB forum, or any forum software, and it is well documented on here as to why.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
icycalm

Post by icycalm »

Yes, via FTP (Filezilla). But why would only the forum attachments have been downloaded incorrectly? All other files (inc. e.g. Joomla files) were downloaded fine. And how do I check if the problem was the download from the old host or the upload to the new host, since the files are scrambled and I can't see them?

I guess I should just try downloading and reuploading them?

You think this issue has nothing to do with the database? Perhaps with an encryption key or something?

I chose GoDaddy because they still allow PHP 5.4. DreamHost removed it from their hosting environment and messed up my site, and I am not at a point in my life right now where I can invest the time to solve the multitude of errors this forced move to PHP 5.5 created. I guess I should look for another host that offers PHP 5.4 and move the site there. If you can recommend some I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your quick reply. At least now I have an idea of what the problem might be.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re:

Post by canonknipser »

icycalm wrote:Yes, via FTP (Filezilla). But why would only the forum attachments have been downloaded incorrectly?
See: Knowledge Base - Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain, especially the note on chapter "Backing up the phpBB Files" which refers to Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla
icycalm wrote:I guess I should just try downloading and reuploading them?
Yes, after you set up your ftp client correctly
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”