I have problem with my board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
tamilan2005

I have problem with my board

Post by tamilan2005 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:58 pm

http://70.85.236.34/~tbullets/phpBB3/

Here are some of the problems I find with this template, or version:

- There is no icon in front of Introduction category, even after setting an image.
- The subcategory doesn't display, for some reason.
- "Delete all board cookies | The team" needs to have some space below
the table.

tamilan2005

Post by tamilan2005 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:00 pm

And the template stinks. (no offense) The old version of Subsliver was better.

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:02 pm

tamilan2005 wrote: And the template stinks. (no offense) The old version of Subsliver was better.

That is not the final version...
You wont see the new one untill the final release
Last edited by lurttinen on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature is here

Yawner

Post by Yawner » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Your in luck. There will be an entirely different template for the first release of phpBB3.x (3.0.0 (thats actually the Olympus, the rest are just the 3.x line))

So i wouldnt worry about templating issues, however your forum addition is rather worrying as at present you have 1 category, no forums and it isnt producing some sort of error message, I would suggest writing this up as a Bug report as I am finding it rather differcult to work out anything and I have been using phpBB3.x CVS for well over a year..

Yawnster
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Yawner wrote: would suggest writing this up as a Bug report as I am finding it rather differcult to work out anything and I have been using phpBB3.x CVS for well over a year..

No, don't write a bug report. This looks more like a permission issue.

tamilan2005:

1) IIRC categories do not support icons, only forums (at least not with subsilver2).
2) This reason seems to be forum permissions. Please read the Quick Start Guide section on Permissions.
3) As mentioned before, this is not the final template. We are keeping the new one under wraps for a later RC or the final. :)

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:51 am

I personally see nothing wrong with it's looks and i think it looks better then the 2.0+ series.
Gotta admit gonna take some getting use to with creating cats and forums. Managed to do my first catagory and then forum fine but adding the next catagory and forum is giving me headaches.

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:06 am

TwistedWeather wrote: I personally see nothing wrong with it's looks and i think it looks better then the 2.0+ series.
Gotta admit gonna take some getting use to with creating cats and forums. Managed to do my first catagory and then forum fine but adding the next catagory and forum is giving me headaches.

Hey,

Personally i would recommend checking out the Quick Start Guide, namely 1.4 - Creating Forums

It'll explain exactly how to do it and get it working :)

Mark

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:53 am

MarkTheDaemon wrote:
TwistedWeather wrote:I personally see nothing wrong with it's looks and i think it looks better then the 2.0+ series.

Hey,

Personally i would recommend checking out the Quick Start Guide, namely 1.4 - Creating Forums

It'll explain exactly how to do it and get it working :)

Mark

That doesnt help. My problem is this. Take this forum here for example. on the main index page it says phpBB 3.0 and then beta support. I wanna know how to create just the phpbb 3.0 catagory or whatever the heck it is called so i can add a forum for posting inside of it.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:57 am

You would do that through the ACP > Forums > Manage Forums, and then click on the "Create New Forum" button. In the first drop down box, you can select "Category." :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:03 am

AdamR wrote: You would do that through the ACP > Forums > Manage Forums, and then click on the "Create New Forum" button. In the first drop down box, you can select "Category." :)

- Adam

I did that but when i go to view the forum ( main index page ) to see how it looks nothing shows. is there some setting to make it show on the main index page?

jwxie

categories of boards

Post by jwxie » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:04 am

wrong post, sorry

TwistedWeather

Re: categories of boards

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:05 am

jwxie wrote: I really am sorry to ask this question
but I realy want to know something about the categories....

well, according to this statement in phpbb3
In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based. Each forum can have an unlimited number of sub-forums and you can determine whether each may be posted to or not (i.e. whether it acts like an old category). Here you can add, edit, delete, lock, unlock individual forums as well as set certain additional controls. If your posts and topics have got out of sync you can also resynchronise a forum.

My first understanding is that there is no categories could be access with specific forum? I mean the old way in phpbb2

you could creat a new category and then under this category you could creat a forum

and I have no way to see this in phpbb3

but the concern is how do you do in here?
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

There are some categories and each has few forums...

thank you so much to see any reply!

This is basically what my question/problem is about.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:13 am

I believe the problems resolve around permissions when creating a forum or a catagory. Personally i think catagories shouldnt rely on permissions. Permissions should only be needed for forums. JMHO

Meaning. Have a normal set up catagory option as was the case in phpbb2 and then ask for those permissions when creating a actual forum that gets posted in. Or something simular.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:29 am

You do, indeed, need to configure the permissions on the category you created. However, unless this category contains at least one actual forum, it still won't be able to be seen. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:31 am

AdamR wrote: You do, indeed, need to configure the permissions on the category you created. However, unless this category contains at least one actual forum, it still won't be able to be seen. :)

- Adam

In short to get the cat to show when you go to permissions have all checked NO EXCEPT view forum. :wink:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”