Admin Control Panel !!!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Headgalah

Admin Control Panel !!!

Post by Headgalah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:37 am

Throw the current admin control panel in the bin and go back to simple basics.

As an administrator we do not need any more work to do behind the scenes and this current ACP does just that. It creates more work than is necessary and it is very complicated to try to get a handle on. Links to help files just dont cut it for me I'm afraid.

I would hate to admin a board the size of this one with an ACP like that ....... it would be an absolute nightmare.

Redesign it using the K.I.S.S principle and you will win a lot of friends over by doing so.

Keep it as it is and more people will continue with phpbb2 therefore wasting the many months of work you guys have put into phpbb3

FStadler

Post by FStadler » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:39 am

*shrug* Matter of personal taste I guess.

For me: ACP 3 >>>> ACP 2

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Re: Admin Control Panel !!!

Post by dhn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:45 am

Headgalah wrote: I would hate to admin a board the size of this one with an ACP like that ....... it would be an absolute nightmare.

Actually it is going to be a bless once we move over. As someone who actually has to administrate on a board like this, let me tell you, it is a HUGE improvement.
Headgalah wrote: Redesign it using the K.I.S.S principle and you will win a lot of friends over by doing so.

Actually you are the first person I am reading criticising the new ACP in the whole since it was released. So, I am pretty sure that we would lose a lot more friends than gain new ones if we return to the old style.
Headgalah wrote: Keep it as it is and more people will continue with phpbb2 therefore wasting the many months of work you guys have put into phpbb3

Make that years. 8)

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:49 am

Oh, and while we are at it. Thanks to the module system it is possible to make the new ACP look exactly like the old system without the need for any code changes. :)

Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:01 am

I noticed that, dhn. I fiddled with a few custom versions too. I ended up changing back to the new phpBB3 ACP because the old one was cheesing me off when I was creating forums and setting permissions.

Headgalah, you won't ever please everyone. There seems to please more people with the new ACP than disgruntled ;)

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:12 am

You will never convince me that creating extra work for anyone ever makes life easier for people.

I never suggested you revert back to the old system either. However, what you have now is an absolute nightmare when it comes to admin workload and you can see that by some of the helpful posts that have already been made.

Some people will like it, of that I have no doubts but in the end it is still way to complicated.

Permissions for example is a major mess.

Why have som many different options ???

Even though the permission in phpbb2 were (in my opinion) all wrong, they were still easy to set if you installed the Overall Permission mod.

With that, a couple of clicks and they were done.

Same for adding moderators and admins, a couple of clicks and they were done.

You cant say the same thing about this beta version as you have to go through a number of steps to set the permissions and if you get just one wrong, then you have to go over it all again.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 am

I've found the permissions system extremely powerful and customisable. Yeah, took me some getting used to when it first came out early this year, but now I can't live without it. You have so much more control over every single person. Take your time and get used to it. First impressions are not always the best.

cheater512

Post by cheater512 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 am

I'm going to avoid the permissions system for awhile and learn it when I absolutely need it. :wink:

The rest kicks ass. Particulary the code behind it has been made so much simpler while still being extremely powerful.
(I just spent 2 days fiddling with the admin panel code. I know.) :lol:

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:28 am

Trust me, as someone who's been using the new permission system since it was introduced into the CVS, it's a real honey to work with once it clicks. Then you'll be "how did I ever get along with the old one". When I log onto my live phpBB2 boards and go to the ACP I want to cry :cry:

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:33 am

Stallyon wrote: Trust me, as someone who's been using the new permission system since it was introduced into the CVS, it's a real honey to work with once it clicks. Then you'll be "how did I ever get along with the old one". When I log onto my live phpBB2 boards and go to the ACP I want to cry :cry:

To me it is very vague in how to set it up and I really dont like having to follow links to get help all the time.

If something is easy, then there is no need for a heap of help files such as the beta version has in the ACP.

Under phpbb2 if you want to make someone a moderator or administrator you go to the Users Profile enter their name and set it up. How easy is that ???

Gawd knows how you do it in phpbb3 though I did manage to set up a moderator account in my second username and that gives me access to the ACP ......... not what is wanted and not what is needed.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:38 am

Headgalah wrote:
Stallyon wrote:Trust me, as someone who's been using the new permission system since it was introduced into the CVS, it's a real honey to work with once it clicks. Then you'll be "how did I ever get along with the old one". When I log onto my live phpBB2 boards and go to the ACP I want to cry :cry:

To me it is very vague in how to set it up and I really dont like having to follow links to get help all the time.

If something is easy, then there is no need for a heap of help files such as the beta version has in the ACP.

Under phpbb2 if you want to make someone a moderator or administrator you go to the Users Profile enter their name and set it up. How easy is that ???

Gawd knows how you do it in phpbb3 though I did manage to set up a moderator account in my second username and that gives me access to the ACP ......... not what is wanted and not what is needed.

Uhhh... that's what groups are for. Once you set the permissions the first time POPERLY for the groups, it's just a matter of dropping them in the right group and making sure it's set as the DEFAULT. THat's about 2 or 3 clicks.

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 am

Headgalah wrote: Gawd knows how you do it in phpbb3 though I did manage to set up a moderator account in my second username and that gives me access to the ACP ......... not what is wanted and not what is needed.

Sometimes it needs a little work to get used to new envorionments. Give it some time, learn to understand it.
Headgalah wrote: Under phpbb2 if you want to make someone a moderator or administrator you go to the Users Profile enter their name and set it up. How easy is that ???

"Manage Users" (which can also be found in Quick Access on the ACP index page) -> Select User name -> Select "Groups"-> Add to Global Moderators or Administrators

I count 4 clicks.

These groups have already permissions set by default, so there is no need to even bother with further setting permissions, unless you want to further fine tune them.

Raul Duke

Post by Raul Duke » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 am

Groups seems to be the key in phpBB3. I felt a bit like Headgalah at first, it was all a bit much to make someone a moderator.

Just been having a play now though and its working just the way I want.

I just created groups that have the necesassry permissions then dropped the users in whichever group giving them the right powers with a few clicks. Makes it easy to add/remove users with the necessary powers as well.

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:50 am

From what I read and from what I can figure out (though I am sure I am wrong) you need to set permission for every person that registers.

That is certainly how it looks anyway and that would be a nightmare, hence my comment, I am sure I am wrong.

I cant get back in to see how to set it up at the moment because Firefox will not show the index in the ACP and of course IE7 keeps logging me out in admin.

Why is it a Global Moderator can access the Admin Control Panel ???

How do you set up a new Administrator ???

If someone can answer those questions for me I will check back in the morning and hopefully the index will be back in Firefox so I can again access the ACP to try to configure it once again.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:52 am

Personally, I don't use either the built-in Global Mod or Admin groups as default. I craeted my own groups, mostly because "Administrators" can't be renamed without modifiying the language files. I wanted "Admin" so I created a new one, and dropped myself in that and set it as my default. I also created a custom Moderators group because I wanted to give my mods less power than the deault Global Moderators (plus I call them "Mod Squad").

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”