Admin Control Panel !!!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 am

Users and Groups > Manage Users > Enter user name > "Select from" menu on the top right of the Overview > Groups > Add user to group > Administrators > Submit > Back to previous page > click Defualt beside Administrator.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:09 am

Headgalah wrote: From what I read and from what I can figure out (though I am sure I am wrong) you need to set permission for every person that registers.

That is certainly how it looks anyway and that would be a nightmare, hence my comment, I am sure I am wrong.

Nope. Everyone who registers automatically goes into the registered users group and has normal access rights that that group has. But you can tweak it in group forum permissions so for instance they can post polls in certain forums, stuff like that.
How do you set up a new Administrator ???

Put the person into the admin group.
Manage groups > administrators> put the persons name in the box at the bottom>submit.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 am

Headgalah wrote: From what I read and from what I can figure out (though I am sure I am wrong) you need to set permission for every person that registers.

That is exactly what you NOT need to do. Newly registered users are automatically added to the "Registered Users" usergroup (or "Unapproved Users", if not yet activated). Set the permissions for this group and you are done.

I suggest you read the Quick Start Guide section on Permissions.
Headgalah wrote: I cant get back in to see how to set it up at the moment because Firefox will not show the index in the ACP and of course IE7 keeps logging me out in admin.

I suggest you start with a fresh installation. Firefox should not make any problems.
Headgalah wrote: Why is it a Global Moderator can access the Admin Control Panel ???

Is he member of a group that has admin permissions? Click on Permissions -> Administrators and it will show you all groups and users in the above lists, that have admin permissions assigned.
Headgalah wrote: How do you set up a new Administrator ???

Multiple people including me already told you. ;)
Headgalah wrote: If someone can answer those questions for me I will check back in the morning and hopefully the index will be back in Firefox so I can again access the ACP to try to configure it once again.

Hoping is a not a suggested method of work in Computer Science. :)

cheater512

Post by cheater512 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 am

dhn wrote: Hoping is a not a suggested method of work in Computer Science. :)

Doesnt hurt however. :wink:

turblety

Post by turblety » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:04 pm

I am in shock reading that :wink: I absolutly love the new ACP and I couldn't be happier they finially sorted otu the groups thing. I love how phpBB has got rid of that stupid group moderator and subscribe thing (even though I think you can still enable ti if you want) The ACP is the greatist feature in this new board, and I for one couldn't be happier with it :)

Mark

Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:10 pm

You still have group leaders. Click the "promote" or "demote" button next to them.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:35 pm

Nice how you started 2 threads blasting away at this new release. As said in your other thread i disagree. And now reading this thread as well helps confirms my thought's in that other thread.
My suggestion would be to cut down on all the different forums/websites you have. Alot LESS work.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:51 pm

dhn wrote: Oh, and while we are at it. Thanks to the module system it is possible to make the new ACP look exactly like the old system without the need for any code changes. :)

Module system? Can I change the look of the ACP right now for the Beta-1 version of Olympus I have set up? Or do I have to wait for the RC or Gold? The ability to change the look of the ACP would require an add-on that you'd have to upload into the directory?
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

Headgalah

Post by Headgalah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Headgalah wrote: Why is it a Global Moderator can access the Admin Control Panel ???

Is he member of a group that has admin permissions? Click on Permissions -> Administrators and it will show you all groups and users in the above lists, that have admin permissions assigned.

The answer to that is an emphatic NO
Headgalah wrote: How do you set up a new Administrator ???

Multiple people including me already told you. ;)

I got around to adding a member as a moderator this morning. Only took about 20 mins to do so even after following the instructions after finding the links. :D

Still dont understand why you cant go to the members profile and change settings there as it is much much easier to do that way than to wander through a number of procedures in the current setup.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am

If you're confused about what options you have given a user, there is a very neat function where you can see what they see.

Click their username and select [ Test out users permissions ].
Very handy indeed. Then when you're done there's a link at the top of the screen to switch back to your permissions.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:45 am

Just a quick note that I investigated the IE7 problem a little more and it is indeed an IE7 bug ... well or more or less changed behaviour from IE 5/6 that leads to breakage.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/01/613132.aspx

This is going to be fixed in IE7 Beta 3.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”