Upgrading from Beta1 to Beta2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Geremine

Upgrading from Beta1 to Beta2

Post by Geremine »

Is there an upgrade file?
Or can I just replace all files and don't need to do any MySQL updates?

I need to know for sure?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Since you're not supposed to be using it on a live forum there isn't much point in an update file. They have said before that there might be and there might not.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Beth

Post by Beth »

Why shouldn't we be using it in a live environment?
It works as it sits, and as long as mod developers begin work on hacking it up, what's the difference?
garble

Post by garble »

Beth wrote: Why shouldn't we be using it in a live environment?

Because you were advised not to.

Another good piece of advice would be to read the announcements.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=400287
Ignore garble :mrgreen:
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Beth wrote: Why shouldn't we be using it in a live environment?
It works as it sits, and as long as mod developers begin work on hacking it up, what's the difference?

The difference is between beta-quality and final-quality software, and it's not a difference the phpBB developers made up. No one knows what the beta cycle will shake out of the product, so things are and ought to be considered in flux.
patrikstar

Post by patrikstar »

Beta-
It means test version. Beta is not the final version of a product or website, but it's close enough to show in public and work the bugs out.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Re: Upgrading from Beta1 to Beta2

Post by ToonArmy »

Geremine wrote: Or can I just replace all files and don't need to do any MySQL updates?

There will be SQL differences between Beta 1 and Beta 2, I somewhat doubt if the developers will provide an upgrade path.
Chris SmithGitHub
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

omg how many times are we going to have to say this...there will be NO upgrade path from beta to beta version :)
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

karlsemple wrote: omg how many times are we going to have to say this...there will be NO upgrade path from beta to beta version :)

Sounds the best way if you offer upgrade from 1 to 2, but then some jumbo change is made in 2, tt would be easier not to offer an upgrade but people would be expecting it.
Chris SmithGitHub
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

ToonArmy wrote:
karlsemple wrote:omg how many times are we going to have to say this...there will be NO upgrade path from beta to beta version :)

Sounds the best way if you offer upgrade from 1 to 2, but then some jumbo change is made in 2, tt would be easier not to offer an upgrade but people would be expecting it.

the problem with offering upgrades from beta to beta is it invites users to use the them in a live enviroment, this is not a good thing. Betas are for testing only.
p0wn

Post by p0wn »

Well, area51.phpbb.com uses it in a "live environment." How are you gonna upgrade it? I believe to really test it, you need people to use it.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

area51.phpbb.com may not be running the beta, it may not be running the latest CVS, it has always been this way. The real testing comes into play at RC stage of things.
Chris SmithGitHub
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

p0wn wrote: Well, area51.phpbb.com uses it in a "live environment." How are you gonna upgrade it? I believe to really test it, you need people to use it.

Area51 is the developmental forum, as it is here that is the live forum. Furthermore, it's pretty obvious that the people whom wrote the software in the first place would be more than capable of running bleeding edge developmental code "live" right?
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

p0wn wrote: Well, area51.phpbb.com uses it in a "live environment." How are you gonna upgrade it? I believe to really test it, you need people to use it.

Thanks, that was good for a chuckle. Does anyone seriously think the developers couldnt upgrade their own software without somebody providing them with a script? And if you can provide your own script then why worry if they are gonna give you one?

For me I have a test forum up and will upgrade through betas if it is relatively painless otherwise I will wait for rc1, the forum is just for getting the moderators used to the new setup so beta 1 will do just fine for now.

Huge thanks to the devs and the rest of the team, and future thanks to the modders cause I know we will see qr and other things us users want but the developers dont feel is appropriate for forum software.

After three years of waiting for me I am just tickled to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

w3
lh901121

Post by lh901121 »

beta2?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”