Is Jabber built in?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
w3neo

Is Jabber built in?

Post by w3neo »

I am confused as to what is going on with the Jabber stuff in olympus.

Is it built into the forum or do you still have to download and install a local client? If you do have to install a local client what is the benefit over using something else like icq?

If somebody who is familiar with the implementation of jabber in olympus could take a moment to explain it clearly I and I am sure others would much appreciate it.

I have set up a jabber account for the server in the ACP (what does this account do?)

I have a personal account set up on jabber.org for a user on the forum and have this account information ie... me@jabber.org in my profile but I dont see any button to launch a jabber session like aol, icq ect... all add to a post.

w3
Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

Jabber is used to notify users that they just received a private message, and so on. It can also be used (if the Jabber server you use supports it) to send messages to people on AIM, MSN, and Yahoo instant messengers.
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

So the private messaging notifcation is why the forum has its own account, makes sense.

But as far as IM being incorporated into olympus is where I am lost. Is jabber built into the forum or does each person who wants to enable IM using jabber need to download and install a client for it to work? Whe I saw Jabber included in the software I was hoping it would add IM functionality between forum members while on the forum without the need of additional software.

w3
Beth

Post by Beth »

Oh- you mean like the Prillian mod back on phpBB2?
I installed that on one board (a mammoth undertaking at the time), and nobody used it.
Very large and clunky with no features that PM's didn't already handle for the most part.

Oh- and we still have cell phones and email...LOL
thunder88

Post by thunder88 »

I just sent myself a PM with my Jabber client logged in and it didn't send me any anything.
Kirsty2

Post by Kirsty2 »

I still can't get past trying to turn it on http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=406817 and no one seems to be able to help.
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

thunder88 wrote: I just sent myself a PM with my Jabber client logged in and it didn't send me any anything.

If your using Gmail for Jabber you need to add the forum's username to the allowed list.
Its a Gmail security feature to prevent spam.
Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

w3neo wrote: But as far as IM being incorporated into olympus is where I am lost. Is jabber built into the forum or does each person who wants to enable IM using jabber need to download and install a client for it to work? Whe I saw Jabber included in the software I was hoping it would add IM functionality between forum members while on the forum without the need of additional software.

w3

Jabber can be used to communicate with people using AIM or MSN as well. It's used for forum notifications, not people chatting with each other over the forum.
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

My bad, I thought since Jabber was an IM client having it built into the forum would be for instant messaging which I think would be great on the forum as long as it didnt require the user to have any additional software other than use of the forum itself. There is a lot of chatting that goes on in most forums and something like this would give an outlet that would take this off of the pm/forum proper.

Oh well I guess I will wait for someone to implement a mod for this functionality after the gold code comes out.

I must say though it seems kind of silly to me to have jabber integrated into the forum for only post notification when it is an instant messaging system in itself.

w3
thunder88

Post by thunder88 »

I have to say it's about the most useless thing I've ever seen on a message board.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

thunder88 wrote: I have to say it's about the most useless thing I've ever seen on a message board.

Maybe, if you don't see a use for it. I do ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

That is rather strange. I have never used Jabber, but it would make sense if you have the functionality to use it.

BTW, Hey W3 ;)
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

thunder88 wrote: I have to say it's about the most useless thing I've ever seen on a message board.

Thats because you've never seen it before.
Its extremely useful actually. You'll get used to it.

As for installing yet another IM client: Jabber was designed to depricate all the other IM networks.
You can talk to those IM networks from some Jabber servers plus there is a wide choice of clients for Jabber so theres really no excuse to keep using MSN/AIM. :wink:
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

I understand that cheater but what I am not understanding is why you need jabber if it is part and parcel with the forum. What I am getting at is a implementation like that on google where when you are logged into gmail you are also logged into jabber (forgive me if I have also misread it there).

Now this makes sense, for me I have never used any IM simply because I dont want to have another piece of software runinning on my computer but if when I logged into my forum I could also be logged into jabber and somebody who wanted to send me a note or vice versa could, a short exchange may answer some questions and a half dozen PM's could be avoided. It would also be great for meetings where you wanted more than two people to be involved with a discussion.

Hi brainy, I see youre an old hat around here. I will have to remember that when I am looking for some help once we get the new forum set up with gold code.

w3
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

w3neo wrote: Now this makes sense, for me I have never used any IM simply because I dont want to have another piece of software runinning on my computer but if when I logged into my forum I could also be logged into jabber and somebody who wanted to send me a note or vice versa could, a short exchange may answer some questions and a half dozen PM's could be avoided. It would also be great for meetings where you wanted more than two people to be involved with a discussion.

It isnt two way. At the moment only the board can send you messages.

I'm sure a mod will come out however especially if phpBB makes people start switching to Jabber. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”