Permissions Are Killing me!!!!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
northerncountry

Permissions Are Killing me!!!!

Post by northerncountry » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Here is a good one… It has been 3 weeks and I still don't seem to have the hang of these stupid hellacious permissions.

I have a forum I created for Special Announcements. I have set all the permissions. I have created a special role to where normal registered users can only reply to posts but not create topics. Now with that in mind, I am Admin of my board and have full access selected for this forum. For some reason when I have the normal registered users set to where they cannot start topics those same permissions are being applied to myself as well. As Admin, I cannot create a topic in that forum. Now if I change the normal registered users role to where they can start topics in that forum but do nothing to the Admin role, then I as Admin can now start topics in that forum. It is very strange. It seems like that when I change the role of the registered users it also affects the admin role. I have another forum set up the same way but does not behave like this. It actually works like it’s supposed to.

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:17 pm

Its probably because you set it to 'No', instead of 'Unset' for the registered users group. Since you are probably also in the registered users group, the 'Yes' in the admin settings will not overwrite the 'No', it can only overwrite the 'Unset'.

Anyhow, to determine where the issue lies, you should trace the permission setting.

ACP -> Users and Groups tab -> Manage Users -> Enter your name / click submit -> Select form: Permissions -> Scroll to bottom of page, there should be a YourName[Forum Permissions] table -> Then click the Trace Setting icon (Image) next to the relevant permission/forum.

A table should now appear, telling you exactly why you can or cannot use that specific permission.

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:20 pm

in the ACP users and groups /manage groups click on admin are you in the list and have you got default set to yes? as that should make you use the admin permission sets rather then the standard user one

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:24 pm

If you want to find out why a permission is set to Yes or No (the result) then go to the view permissions page, and click the icon near to the permission it will show the "permission trace", an explanation why the permission turned out the way it did.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

Lastof

Post by Lastof » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:32 pm

matthewf wrote: in the ACP users and groups /manage groups click on admin are you in the list and have you got default set to yes? as that should make you use the admin permission sets rather then the standard user one

That is incorrect. See phpBB 3.0 Docs => Groups => Default Groups.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:37 pm

just test this, Drexion suggestions work, make sure you have can post in forums for the registered user set to "unset" that is a little strange I would have thought as admin and with admin permssions, that would override the registered permissions, but it seems it doesn't very odd

@Lastof I stand corrected thanks for that

zula

Post by zula » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:02 pm

it is due to boards that have more than one admin, this way not all admins can have everything that main admin has, hence you can look at it as regular user with title i think, could be wrong. anyway, i think these permissions do make sence and will make it worth while once everyone understands them correctly

seanlancaster

Re: Permissions Are Killing me!!!!

Post by seanlancaster » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 pm

I just started fiddling with 3 RC1 and created a test forum for my classes. i created groups and i could only access the groups if i made myself a group member . . . at first anyway. i found this thread and figured out how to give myself universal access, so it's all good. however, i think it's pretty crazy that i didn't have access to the forums i created by default. i realize i am a newbie with version 3, but there will be thousands and thousands of newbies coming along. why can't the #1 user who is the super administrator just automatically keep full access even after forums are created with special permissions?
-sean

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Permissions Are Killing me!!!!

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:48 pm

seanlancaster wrote:why can't the #1 user who is the super administrator
The first user is not a super administrator he/she is the founder. The concept of super administrator as in phpbb2 does not exist in phpbb3 - everyone has to be given explicit permission to do anything.

There are arguments both ways on this and it has been discussed more than once. The way it is now is the way that the developers considered the best way and that is the way it will be staying.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”