Jabber and Google Talk

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
G.I. Suck

Jabber and Google Talk

Post by G.I. Suck »

Has anyone got this to work sucessfully? I put in the jabber server settings and used my gmail address in my profile as the jabber account, but I'm not getting anything.
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

What Jabber server are you using?

Google's system is a little special and not fully supported by all servers.
It requires that the server supports TLS (encryption) and a dns trick for it to work.

Also Google Talk wont allow messages from people you havent added specifically.
Add the forum's jabber address before testing it.
Kirsty2

Post by Kirsty2 »

Nope, tried a million times, had several people on here try and help and nothing works. The developers never answered my questions about it, SOOOO i guess that it will evenutally be a problem with it eventually gets released.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Jabber works, not tried it personally with Google Talk. What is more likely is your host blocks outgoing connections from your server so you cannot reach any jabber servers.
Chris SmithGitHub
Kirsty2

Post by Kirsty2 »

How do i test that to see if it is that problem?
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Read this again:
cheater512 wrote: Also Google Talk wont allow messages from people you havent added specifically.
Add the forum's jabber address before testing it.

Are you sure that the jabber / gtalk account you are using on your forum is listed in your buddy list? You need to add it! Google Talk does only allow messages from users that are ON your buddy list, all other messages will be blocked.

This feature was tested and it is working fine on area51.
northerncountry

Post by northerncountry »

Ok, I have been wondering this for a while. What is Jabber? and what do you do with it?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

Its a instant messaging protocol like AIM, MSN etc except it is free and the protocol is open to anyone.
Chris SmithGitHub
northerncountry

Post by northerncountry »

so you can instant message other members? Are there any instructions on how to set it up?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

Search this forum, might also remind you this is beta software thus very little documentation ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

northerncountry wrote: so you can instant message other members? Are there any instructions on how to set it up?

From what I have been told here the answer to your statement is no. While jabber is an IM client its implementation in phpBB is simply for the board to notify you by IM of new posts to threads where you have asked to be notified.

It would be great if you could IM right through your phpBB board without having to set up an IM client or account though.

w3
DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

w3neo wrote:
northerncountry wrote:so you can instant message other members? Are there any instructions on how to set it up?

From what I have been told here the answer to your statement is no. While jabber is an IM client its implementation in phpBB is simply for the board to notify you by IM of new posts to threads where you have asked to be notified.

It would be great if you could IM right through your phpBB board without having to set up an IM client or account though.

w3

You can send Jabber messages to members who have their Jabber IDs specified, but there's no mechanism for "retrieving" messages. To send messages, go to their profile, and there will be a Jabber button if they have specified their ID.
DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

w3neo wrote:
northerncountry wrote:so you can instant message other members? Are there any instructions on how to set it up?

w3

You can send Jabber messages to members who have their Jabber IDs specified, but there's no mechanism for "retrieving" messages. To send messages, go to their profile, and there will be a Jabber button if they have specified their ID.
A.T.O.M.

Post by A.T.O.M. »

Jabber support works like a champ here. However, i just found out that with Jabber, you have to set status to "online" to receive messages :)
I don't know if that's server specific or client specific though. I'm using the default jabber.org server.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”