Beta2?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
starware

Beta2?

Post by starware »

Is phpbb group currently working on a phpbb3 beta2? or are they still trying to discover all the bugs in beta 1? And shouldn't they release a beta 2 soon so that they dont keep getting the same bug reports and can find more errors with the ''fixed'' forum program?
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

Isnt that the same thing? :?

Bugs found in Beta 1 are fixed and then when the devs think its ready they call the code Beta 2.
starware

Post by starware »

What do you mean by ''the same thing?''
And so they should release a beta 2 soon?
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

Working on Beta 2 and fixing the bugs in Beta 1 are the same thing. :P

They will release Beta 2 when they are ready.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

"When they are ready" basically means, when they feel the need to release another beta, most likely because the ratio between new and repeated bug reports starts to go in the wrong direction.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
itsonlybarney

Post by itsonlybarney »

What is the point of releasing a Beta 2? All you are doing is fixing bugs in Beta 2 that can be fixed in Beta 1. All you are doing is creating a new set of files to install and possibly find the same errors they have already found in Beta 1
Enjoy talking about trains?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Beta2 fixes the bugs in beta1.
But fixing those might cause something else to conflict so you need beta2 to check that as well. Aslo, as I understand it, some bits have been rewritten so they need checking for bugs as well.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
starware

Post by starware »

Thanks guys.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

The devs will most likely have a list of targets they want to meet before distributing Beta 2.
Chris SmithGitHub
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

itsonlybarney wrote: What is the point of releasing a Beta 2? All you are doing is fixing bugs in Beta 2 that can be fixed in Beta 1. All you are doing is creating a new set of files to install and possibly find the same errors they have already found in Beta 1

It's also called version control or configuration management ...

It makes sense to commission a Beta 2 version which will have a known configuration ... rather than just have the plethora of different CVS versions ..

I like most "testers" get the latest CVS version each night and run through some basic tests in readiness for migrating my phpbb2 forum to phpbb3

Whenever I see that the nightly version has changed anything to do with the database I re-create my test mySQL database and re-install using the phpbb3 installer ...

When Beta 2 comes out I will do the same knowing I have a version that the dev team has some configuration knowledsge/status about it.

There are probably other "testers" out there who downloaded Beta 1 ... but don't get the CVS versions due to technical ability and/or time ... so they are the category that will wait for Beta 2 before downloading a new version to test ...

All in all this strategy works well giving both technical and non-technical users the ability to contribute to the beta testing programme ...

The semantics in your original post (quote above) are quite correct but at the end of the day who really cares whether there is one Beta version with "tens" of mini-versions (CVS nightly) versus a controlled release of a number of "appropriate" Beta versions ...

I'm happy to let the dev team manage this for us as part of their excellent efforts in getting phpBB3 out as soon as possible
Kind Regards,

Gary Wilkinson
Principal Consultant and Founder
SQR Consulting
alittlebitnumb

Re: Beta2?

Post by alittlebitnumb »

starware wrote: Is phpbb group currently working on a phpbb3 beta2? or are they still trying to discover all the bugs in beta 1? And shouldn't they release a beta 2 soon so that they dont keep getting the same bug reports and can find more errors with the ''fixed'' forum program?

I would not hold my breath...
TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

UNLESS there is a MAJOR security issue found i honestly see no reason for another beta. IMHO the next should be RC. AND if there is still bug's there is always the option to go to RC 2.

Sorry but there is NO EXCUSE to do another BETA UNLESS a major security issue is found with this beta 1. JMHO
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

I would do a Beta2 if not only for the reason that there are a lot of people who just do not do CVS, but they installed B1, which had a lot of bugs.
So B2 needs to be released for those people who have B1, and you know bugs will be found with it, though I hope not, it is inevitable.

This will go on until they get to a Beta phase that does not have a group load of bugs.
If this is Beta2, then we can be sure that RC1 is not far behind... otherwise, expect another BetaX
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
lordtopcat

Post by lordtopcat »

I bet if you searched for posts asking when new releases will be out, you will come up with about 1000.

I have said this before, and will say it again.

All realeases of phpBB will be ready when they are ready.
It is better that they are thoroughly coded, instead of a rushed job.
- Lord Top Cat -
Loving the new site.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”