Will BETA update to final?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
The KaN

Will BETA update to final?

Post by The KaN » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:12 am

By the title I mean will the Beta's as in BETA 2 be able to upgrade to the final version. This way I would know if I could use this forum as it already is much better then phpbb2.
phpBB3 User

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:55 am

No. The devs have SPECIFICALLY said (repeatedly) that there will be NOTHING from beta to beta or even beta to RC or beta to Gold.

There may possibly is we are extremely lucky be a converter from RC->gold but don't hold your breath.

You shouldn't be using it live anyway so this wont be a problem.

David Robinson

Post by David Robinson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:57 am

Um. That's not quite accurate.

Acyd Burn wrote: We may provide update paths for going from the beta releases to the RC and final release, but we may also not provide them. This highly depends on how the beta phase evolves. So please be aware that your test installation will need to be replaced/removed if a new beta is announced.

A full update path will be provided beginning with the Release Candidates.

OriginXT
Location: Silicon Valley Posts: 99999999999999 Brilliant: Duh!

Post by OriginXT » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:48 am

Summary: don't count on it

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:48 am

David Robinson wrote: Um. That's not quite accurate.

Acyd Burn wrote:We may provide update paths for going from the beta releases to the RC and final release, but we may also not provide them. This highly depends on how the beta phase evolves. So please be aware that your test installation will need to be replaced/removed if a new beta is announced.

A full update path will be provided beginning with the Release Candidates.

However it is best to assume they will not, at least until they say that they will otherwise alot of people will end up stuck on un-upgradeable beta's :)

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 am

And then there is this small matter (my emphasis):
Acyd Burn wrote: We will not support modifications, custom code/style additions or any users using the beta packages within a live environment.

Even if there were an upgrade path provided, you really shouldn't be running the board live while it is still beta unless you're sure what you're doing (and if it turns out you don't, you'll have only yourself to blame).

[Edit: clearified/corrected wording - Eelke]
Last edited by Eelke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

aquarelle

Post by aquarelle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 am

Eelke wrote: And then there is this small matter (my emphasis):
Acyd Burn wrote:We will not support modifications, custom code/style additions or any users using the beta packages within a live environment.

Even if there were an upgrade path provided, you really shouldn't be running the board as a beta unless you're sure what you're doing (and if it turns out you don't, you'll have only yourself to blame).

If you shouldn't run it as a beta, what should you run it as?

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 am

Very sharp. I'm sure you know what I meant.

bad-dj

has

Post by bad-dj » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:04 am

has some one got one upload so i can see it so i do not have to put a beta on my server. i only when to see hats it like as user.

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:07 am

http://area51.phpbb.com
Not necesarilly exactly the latest beta, but close enough for your purposes ("seeing what it's like as a user", if I did the puzzle right ;)), I would say.

The KaN

Post by The KaN » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:35 am

Thank you for the feed back. I guess I will hold off on releasing my new board as beta2 and wait for the final version.
phpBB3 User

bad-dj

will

Post by bad-dj » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:48 am

well i need a Legend :: Administrators, Developers, Mod Team, Moderators, Styles Team, Support Team, Team Leaders, Website Team like diff colours on it will the phpbb v3 have that ?

The KaN

Post by The KaN » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 am

The beta has is so I am sure the final will.
phpBB3 User

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 am

same i am going to get it when it is phpbb not v3 beta so when it is like final version i will get it and install it to my server it is like VB it so cool by looking at that link i got my some one i am so happy well more happy when it is final version.

thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:30 am

If you intend to use phpBB3, then it isnt a bad idea to install the Beta now and have a look at how the admin side works.
It is very very different to 2x and will take some getting used to and figuring out.

It is something a little time spent now, may save you loads when every Tom Dick and Harry are upgrading and blasting the support forums with help requests..........
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mummy | Web Designer | Slave | Digi-Scrap Addict | Vampire |

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”