Please provide some clearity about RC upgrade path

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Please provide some clearity about RC upgrade path

Post by Eelke »

Up till now, I thought this sentence from "Please read before posting" is clear enough:
A full update path will be provided beginning with the Release Candidates.

Based on this, I plan to go live with the first RC (provided I have finished my custom template by then).

However, I have now seen official team members on numerous occasions say the opposite. An upgrade path may be provided, but it is not guaranteed (from the "Please read.." post I get this applies to beta, not to RC).

For example:
karlsemple wrote:
starware wrote:Will phpbb3 RC1 have an upgrade path to gold phpbb3?

Thats the plan, but no no one can say for sure though so no promise is being made :)

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 20#2396120

If this last bit is true, please update "Read me before posting" to reflect the "no promises" bit, because at the moment, it looks a lot like a promise...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I can't imagine them releasing RC1 without saying one way or the other whether it will be upgradable.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

That's another way of looking at it... Although I do think there will be very little point to calling it an RC if there is no guaranteed upgrade path. It'll basically be another beta.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

In that case, the next version would be beta3 then, surely.

They'll tell us when they've got it sorted out. I don't see the great urgency to know until it's actually out.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well, I suppose there is no great urgency to know it now. I just hope this is cleared up by the time an RC is released. I also think it would take very little effort to actually clear it up now and stop giving out mixed signals.
Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

As i said within the announcement, there will be update path(s) provided from RC1 to gold. An update path to RC1 will most likely not provided.

I hope this clears it up.

Please also bear with team members - we are only human and all teams are new to Olympus too. ;)
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Thank you, that does clear it up. I can absolutely appreciate that the team members are only human, but the signal became stronger and stronger that there would in fact not be an upgrade path as of RC1.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

like i said, it was the plan (as per the announcement). However i was not going to make promises on the developers behalf, was not so much a "mistake" as i just wanted to cover my own butt if you guys change your minds further down the line :)
Nathan_Anderson

Post by Nathan_Anderson »

Acyd Burn wrote: As i said within the announcement, there will be update path(s) provided from RC1 to gold. An update path to RC1 will most likely not provided.

I hope this clears it up.

Please also bear with team members - we are only human and all teams are new to Olympus too. ;)

Any chance of providing the SQL scripts that you guys use internally to update and keep your own copies in sync when you go from B2 -> B3(RC1?).

I just "manually" updated a B1 to B2 board and that I have to say was a royal pita. I can't believe the number of DB changes that were done between B1->B2. Yes I know this is "unsupported"; and I don't want any extra support, I just want what I would hope exists somewhere. :-)

I don't have a problem using CVS version either; if the scripts can be got somehow through CVS (I didn't see any such scripts in the CVS I pulled last night). Thanks!

Nathan.
Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

Any chance of providing the SQL scripts that you guys use internally to update and keep your own copies in sync when you go from B2 -> B3(RC1?).

We do not use scripts to update area51 - everything is manually adjusted within the database.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

Nathan_Anderson wrote: Any chance of providing the SQL scripts that you guys use internally to update and keep your own copies in sync when you go from B2 -> B3(RC1?).

I just "manually" updated a B1 to B2 board and that I have to say was a royal pita. I can't believe the number of DB changes that were done between B1->B2. Yes I know this is "unsupported"; and I don't want any extra support, I just want what I would hope exists somewhere. :-)
you may want to look into mysqldiff.
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

It's always good to have inside clarification from the developers and especially the lead developer (as we surely appreciate their insight and time providing it), but we all need to still be cautious because things can indeed change complicating any upgrade path and one always travels at their own risk if they do go live with any late Betas or RCs for that matter...

One can surmise (hopefully true) that the upgrade path and ease of an upgrade surely depend on the degree or level of database changes (including its structure as well as its literal interpretation/use in the code) from beta to RC and then to Gold...

Many do a lot of testing with Betas and RCs to get first-hand experience and to study the code for potential MODs (but surely never ever use any MODs for Beta or RC testing for "bugs"), but from a stability and security perspective, we always wait for the Gold code to go live with our sites or to consider implementing and testing final versions of MODs...
Help, at least do no harm

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”