Terminology suggestion

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Dan East

Terminology suggestion

Post by Dan East »

I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this suggestion, so sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum.

When managing a group's members there are several commands:
Default, Approve, Promote, Demote and Delete.

Instead of Delete it may be more concise to call it Remove. I had some reservations about Deleting a user from there in the event that it would actually delete the user. After testing it out I received a message "User removed from group", so obviously the command does just remove them from the group.

Dan East
Explore

Post by Explore »

Totally agree! Good point there!
Explore
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Dan,

I suggest you post your finding in the phpBB 3 bug tracker.
John Hjorth • Official Danish phpBB language package maintainer and translator
The Danish Olympus & Ascreaus translation projectDanish phpBB support site
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

presumably the user guide will explain what everything does when it is released ;)
comperr

Post by comperr »

karlsemple wrote: presumably the user guide will explain what everything does when it is released ;)

true....but most people do not read it (after the quote goes "if all else fails read the directions")
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

comperr wrote:
karlsemple wrote:presumably the user guide will explain what everything does when it is released ;)

true....but most people do not read it (after the quote goes "if all else fails read the directions")

phpBB cannot be held responsible for people who refuse to read the documentation, there is even a rule on this site that users should read the documentation before posting for support.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

OK, let's just not mark any user interface elements and just have people read the manual to understand what everything does, would save a lot of time translating too... (I'm sorry for that rediculous remark, I just feel it is just as rediculous to turn this innocent suggestion into an argument about reading user manuals).

I think there is nothing wrong with making suggestions about wording. It is actually a big complement to a user interface if most users can use it without having to resort to the manual, so if there is clearity to be gained, let's do it.
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Very true, Eelke. The dev team also salutes such suggestions in the bug tracker and take them under seriously consideration. It's all about quality in the final product.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

So if the text on my car stereo button does not 100% clarify what the button does your saying that kenwood should change the layout of the fascia? Maybe they should consider it, but also a deal of common sense would suggest i read the user guide to find out what the button does. Just because a handful of users do not find the text clear does not mean the rest will not. Some might perfectly understand what the button does from the text.

This is where the use guide is used to clear these things up. I did not suggest making suggestions was bad i simply stated the user guide when complete would go a long way to clearing up some confusion about the buttons.

Please do not imply i am flaming people making suggestions. I was simply stating all users should read the userguide regardless of the interface and user who do not will technically not be eligible for support(as per the rules).

Please remember i am on the support team and not the development team hence i have no control over the language strings or what they say, and any decision on them will be undertaken without me being given any notice or having any input....in short i am not the enemy ;)

Remember i am allowed to make statements or observations just as much as you guys are, I do not see why i need to justify every post i make in this forum.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

karlsemple wrote: Please do not "put" words into my mouth, as they saying goes by implying i am flaming people making suggestions.

I wasn't implying you were flaming, I was implying that the conversation at large went into the wrong direction for what is basically just a simple suggestion of wording. Your point that a user manual may help in clearing up the functioning of the system is completely valid. It's also fair to point out that not everyone can be pleased; if the replacement term doesn't add any clearity, you will have to rely on a more detailed explanation in a manual (which is what I understand your first comment about the user manual to imply). Whether the replacement term actually adds any clarity could be something we discuss here (I think the TS has a fair, albeit minor point).

However, when someone says, most people do not read manuals, I take that to mean basically the same thing I said: the best user interface is one that doesn't need a manual. Then replying by simply saying that the group can not be held responsible when people do not read the manual (which is absolutely true in itself) tells me that you missed the point, and possibly don't really care about UI clarity and would rather not bother with it at all. That's what I was addressing, nothing else.
Remember i am allowed to make statements or observations just as much as you guys are

Of course you are, and that's also the nature of my comments. I didn't for one moment assume you were somehow reflecting the position of the entire phpBB group.
Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy »

"Excommunicate this user? Yes/No"
Answers.com wrote: ex·com·mu·ni·cate (ĕks'kə-myū'nĭ-kāt') pronunciation
tr.v., -cat·ed, -cat·ing, -cates.

1. To deprive of the right of church membership by ecclesiastical authority.
2. To exclude by or as if by decree from membership or participation in a group.
david63

Post by david63 »

Wes of StarArmy wrote: "Excommunicate this user? Yes/No"
Answers.com wrote:ex·com·mu·ni·cate (ĕks'kə-myū'nĭ-kāt') pronunciation
tr.v., -cat·ed, -cat·ing, -cates.

1. To deprive of the right of church membership by ecclesiastical authority.
2. To exclude by or as if by decree from membership or participation in a group.
???????????
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

David,

I suppose it's honestly meant with best intentions to contribute to the discussion. I read above post from Wes of StarArmy as a suggestion to substitute "delete" or "remove" with "excommunicate" - with a reference to an extract from a dictionary. :wink:
Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy »

It's an example of "just because a word works, it doesn't mean that word is the best one to use."

I think it should be changed to "Remove" as well.
Grinch

Post by Grinch »

I can sum this up in three words, "User Acceptance Testing" (also known as UAT). UAT is part of the cycle that is performed by those that have usability in mind. Developers don't usually have the end user in mind. This is why companies have the different teams involved in developing products. The end result is a better quality product that is easier to use.

The bottom line, don't dismiss the user suggestions so quickly. After all, these are the people that have to use the product every day. They should be allowed to provide input.
Last edited by Grinch on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”