Character encoding changed between B2 and B3???

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
karlake

Character encoding changed between B2 and B3???

Post by karlake »

I have one forum based on Beta2 and just installed another based on Beta3. Got one problem with the character encoding. In beta2 it works just fine with our Swedish characters and if one looks at the source of the pages it says:

"<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />"

If I look at the source from the beta3 it says:
"<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />"

Why the difference and what shall I do to fix it?
david63

Post by david63 »

Why have you still gor beta 2 installed?

To fix your problem delete beta 2.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
karlake

Post by karlake »

david63 wrote: Why have you still gor beta 2 installed?

To fix your problem delete beta 2.

I don´t see why that should be any problem with 2 forums. They have separate databases and are in separate directories on the webserver. Guide me, please!
david63

Post by david63 »

Beta 2 has been superceded by beta 3 and therefore should not be needed for testing - or are we talking about a live forum here?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
karlake

Post by karlake »

david63 wrote: Beta 2 has been superceded by beta 3 and therefore should not be needed for testing - or are we talking about a live forum here?

No not live forums, but I did some work on the B2-forum and have not had the time to make any documentation of that yet. Was going to have it running for a while before I delete it. How could that have effect on the B3-forum?

I can mention that I have five other forums running on the same server (version 2.xx). Those are is live forums with many tenthousands of posts.
Raul Duke

Post by Raul Duke »

From the topic at the top called "Please read before posting". :P

UTF-8 Support

The decision to support UTF-8 (prior to a long period of discussing and evaluating) was made due to other problems we encountered and which would have taken longer to properly fix than introducing UTF-8. We know that this is not normal during beta phases and represents a drastic change, therefore this Beta release; to test the new functionality because it basically affects every single area of the software.

We encourage you to test with User names like ťĕsťůsĕř or ťĕsťůs'ĕř (note the single quote) to spot problems better. People already using UTF-8 encoding for their language packs should report every single problem they encounter.
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

karlake,

Is your question releated to a Swedish language package under development ?
John Hjorth • Official Danish phpBB language package maintainer and translator
The Danish Olympus & Ascreaus translation projectDanish phpBB support site
karlake

Post by karlake »

John Hjorth wrote: karlake,

Is your question releated to a Swedish language package under development ?

No eventually not. I was just puzzled when my browser couldn´t show our Swedish characters for example in the Sitenamn and Site description (and in posts). I don´t understand why? Worked well in Beta2 and I was surprised when it did not in Beta3!

If I had the time I surely would like to make a Swedish language pack, but I´m afraid it is to hope for too much if I made any promises about that. I have translated another forum many years ago and it takes a lot of time.

Back to my questions. How would it change anything if I deleted the Beta2-forum as suggested? Please explain!
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Naturally, it does not.

I might be server setup related, try upload a .htaccess to your root on server for your Beta 3 board containing the line :

Code: Select all

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
karlake

Post by karlake »

John Hjorth wrote: Naturally, it does not.

I might be server setup related, try upload a .htaccess to your root on server for your Beta 3 board containing the line :

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

I run my forums on a Windows2003-server. I think .htaccess only is for Apache servers. :? There must be something else in this case :?:
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Yes you are right, .htaccess is only for Apache servers. Hopefully someone else will contribute in this topic.
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Re: Character encoding changed between B2 and B3???

Post by SHS` »

karlake wrote: I have one forum based on Beta2 and just installed another based on Beta3. Got one problem with the character encoding. In beta2 it works just fine with our Swedish characters and if one looks at the source of the pages it says:

"<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />"

If I look at the source from the beta3 it says:
"<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />"

Why the difference and what shall I do to fix it?

There is nothing to do to "fix it" per se since betas should not be used in a live environment, however... to eliminate user error from an actual edge-case regression bug within phpBB3 Beta3 due to the encoding switch, at the very least go through the following list:
  1. Is the Beta3 install a fresh install? (Overwriting files of a Beta2 install yet pointing it to an existing Beta2 DB will not work, due to collation changes)
  2. On a phpBB3 Beta3 clean install, though the source obviously says "UTF-8" is the character encoding, what does your browser detect it as? Your browser may for some reason be forced to ISO-8859-1 and thus render everything else incorrectly.
  3. Does your PHP config for some reason force a particular encoding, breaking any attempt at set a different encoding (eg: UTF-8)? This may be why encoding detection by browsers are broken, since the explicit HTTP header may override the equivalent http-equiv within the HTML.
  4. How did you transfer the files to the dev site, is your FTP client for sopme strange reason changing the encoding of files?
  5. etc...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

John Hjorth wrote: Naturally, it does not.

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
usually a bad idea.
since all the phpbb pages define the charset within the page, it is best to run without defaultcharset.
it is, however, a good idea to have

AddDefaultCharset Off
in case the defaultcharset was defined in a higher level (httpd.conf or higher level .htaccess)
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

arod-1,

I agree, the server setup should be able to handle it. It was meant as a suggestion for a temporary workaround untill the server setup was changed correctly.
karlake

Re: Character encoding changed between B2 and B3???

Post by karlake »

SHS` wrote: There is nothing to do to "fix it" per se since betas should not be used in a live environment, however... to eliminate user error from an actual edge-case regression bug within phpBB3 Beta3 due to the encoding switch, at the very least go through the following list:
  1. Is the Beta3 install a fresh install? (Overwriting files of a Beta2 install yet pointing it to an existing Beta2 DB will not work, due to collation changes)
  2. On a phpBB3 Beta3 clean install, though the source obviously says "UTF-8" is the character encoding, what does your browser detect it as? Your browser may for some reason be forced to ISO-8859-1 and thus render everything else incorrectly.
  3. Does your PHP config for some reason force a particular encoding, breaking any attempt at set a different encoding (eg: UTF-8)? This may be why encoding detection by browsers are broken, since the explicit HTTP header may override the equivalent http-equiv within the HTML.
  4. How did you transfer the files to the dev site, is your FTP client for sopme strange reason changing the encoding of files?
  5. etc...

1. It´s a fresh installation, new database and new directory
  2. According to PHP information:
    _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"] ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    _ENV["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"] ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    default_charset no value
  3. I have my server on my own internal network and used copy&paste to transfer the files

and furthermore:
  4. Windows server 2003 with IIS 6
  5. MS SQL 2000 with Server collation:SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
  6. PHP Version 5.0.4
Need anymore information? Let me know!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”