Bulk Email

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
david63
Name: David Wood

Bulk Email

Post by david63 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:19 am

Could a developer confim that in bulk email there is a hard coded limit of 50 recipients for one message and if there are more than 50 then the message is broken down into chunks.

I have just discovered that my host, and I suspect the vast majority of hosts, have a maximum recipient limit (to guard against spam). In my hosts case that limit is 20. So my question is what will happen? Will the mail only go to the first 20? Will the mail be rejected?

As this is becomming more of an issue is there any work around of the problem?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:44 am

in line 95 of acp_email.php you have

Code: Select all

// Send with BCC, no more than 50 recipients for one mail (to not exceed the limit)
				$max_chunk_size = 50;

so i am guessing so :)

david63

Post by david63 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 am

Yes I am aware of that line as that is where I got the 50 from. I suppose it is something for the wish list - a config option!
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

david63

Post by david63 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Just noticed in the ACP > General >Email settings that there is a field called "Email package size" with a value of 50.

Would I be right in thinking that this will control the number of recipients of an email and if so the should the value of 50 in acp_email.php be using this value as well?

Is this a bug?
David

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:23 pm

No, this is the package size (number of emails sent in one go) and has nothing to do with a recipient limit. You need to change the code if you want to adjust the recipient limit.

T50

Re: Bulk Email

Post by T50 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Miek, Could you elaborate on that?
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info

Swader

Re:

Post by Swader » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 am

Acyd Burn wrote:No, this is the package size (number of emails sent in one go) and has nothing to do with a recipient limit. You need to change the code if you want to adjust the recipient limit.
If they both are not same.. then can you give an explanation as to what each thing does.. and whats the difference? Please..

blackwatch_uk

Post by blackwatch_uk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am

Yahoo Small Business only let me send 200 emails in 24 hrs. So is there a way when sending a mass email to send a chunk of 50 emails in a 24hr period?

tim_welch

Post by tim_welch » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:36 pm

blackwatch_uk wrote:Yahoo Small Business only let me send 200 emails in 24 hrs. So is there a way when sending a mass email to send a chunk of 50 emails in a 24hr period?
I use Googlemail and I think it has a 200 email limit in 24 hours too. I'm curious to know if and how to address this too.

(I used to be able to send a mass email to all my users but now my registered member count has exceeded 500, it causes me some errors and don't send emails all in one go to all my users and I wonder if it's due to this limit, rather than anything else).
StarCraft II Map Creator's Community - for all things related to map building in StarCraft 2.
eScala Fansite (Fan Site) - as appearing in Britain's Got Talent 2008.
Hope Fansite (Fan Site) and Community - for all things Hope girl group related from The X Factor 2007.
The Hobbit Forums - for fans of The Hobbit and Beowulf.

caliphra

Post by caliphra » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm

tim_welch wrote:
blackwatch_uk wrote:Yahoo Small Business only let me send 200 emails in 24 hrs. So is there a way when sending a mass email to send a chunk of 50 emails in a 24hr period?
I use Googlemail and I think it has a 200 email limit in 24 hours too. I'm curious to know if and how to address this too.

(I used to be able to send a mass email to all my users but now my registered member count has exceeded 500, it causes me some errors and don't send emails all in one go to all my users and I wonder if it's due to this limit, rather than anything else).
googlemail's send limit is 500 mails on a single day.. it's also same on google apps standard edition! for google apps premier edition and education edition, the limit is 1500 mails higher; it totally makes 2000, and imo it's sufficient for a board that has 500 members..

Hittman

Post by Hittman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:15 pm

There is also a problem with a lot of hosts, who have set limits out of fear of spam. The one thing I don't like about my host is they choke off mass e-mails when they see them, usually at around 20 or 30. They only allow mass e-mail on lists that have been strictly opt in from the begining, and phpBB doesn't meet their standards.

So I extracted the e-mail addresses from the users table and did it manually, in chunks of about 50. Half went through gMail, the other through the smtp server (which is on roadrunner, not my host).

It was obnoxious, but doable. (There were about 500 recipients.) I'd like to find a cheap mail service where I can give them the list and let them do the work, but I only do a half dozen mailings a year.

In short, no matter what your settings are in phpBB, it's very likely that doing a mass e-mail will violate your TOS.

Yet another reason to despise spammers. If it weren't for them, this wouldn't be an issue.

tim_welch

Post by tim_welch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Hittman wrote:So I extracted the e-mail addresses from the users table and did it manually, in chunks of about 50. Half went through gMail, the other through the smtp server (which is on roadrunner, not my host).
I do this too now... I have several forums, the largest with around 1,500 members and whilst this process works, it's not the most effective use of my time. :(
StarCraft II Map Creator's Community - for all things related to map building in StarCraft 2.
Hope Fansite (Fan Site) and Community - for all things Hope girl group related from The X Factor 2007.

Hittman

Post by Hittman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Mine either. It's tedious and should be unnecessary, but I understand why ISPs are so nervous about spam. They only need a few com paints to get in a black hole list.

Does anyone know of a service that would do this for us, cheaply, without a lot of hassle? I only do it a half dozen times a year, but it would be worth a few bucks to have someone do it for me in one pop instead of spreading the job out over a weekend.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 pm

You can do this SQL:

SELECT `user_email` FROM phpbb_users;
And then export the query results as CSV and then import it into a email client like Outlook Express and send mass emails through your ISP's SMTP server.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

tim_welch

Post by tim_welch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:12 pm

stevemaury wrote:You can do this SQL:

SELECT `user_email` FROM phpbb_users;
And then export the query results as CSV and then import it into a email client like Outlook Express and send mass emails through your ISP's SMTP server.

SELECT user_email FROM `phpbb_users` WHERE user_allow_massemail = 1
You might want to use this actually, as it would not export email addresses for members that have said they don't want board notifications (set via UCP).

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”