Jabber: a how-too guide

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Cool Abe

Jabber: a how-too guide

Post by Cool Abe »

Now, children, gather round, sit quietly and Uncle Abe will explain to you all about the Olympus Jabber feature.

Jabber is another instant messaging system. It has a chat facility but THIS IS NOT IMPLEMENTED IN OLYMPUS, much to my disappointment. It's just another way of getting a message to another user.

First off, if you want to receive Jabber messages you have to have a Jabber client and a Jabber username. I'm using Exodus as the client, and it seems to work OK. Download it from a link on their site. Some of the other IM clients e.g. Trillian Pro (but not the free version) will deal with Jabber, too.

A Jabber username looks just like an e-mail address i.e. somebody@server. The server I use is at 12jabber.com and works OK. Getting an address simply involves trying whichever username you like until you hit on one unique to you. Full details of setting up an account are here.

If you are the board admin you will obviously need to set up a separate account for the board also, and enter the details in the Jabber settings of the ACP.

To use Jabber on the board, you identify the user you want to Jab then click the profile button to see whether he has a Jabber account. This a weird way of doing it - I'd expect to see a Jabber button at the bottom of a post with the MSN, YIM, ICQ etc buttons. If he has, click the button and a window pops up allowing you to type your message. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A JABBER ACCOUNT TO SEND A MESSAGE - it's sent via the board account.

The only way of receiving a message is to have your Jabber client running in the background on your machine, as usual. Any replies or new messages come to you via your Jabber client, not the board.

That's about it, I think.
"No one is able to plan his own course."

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

Thanks for posting this. I have never really used Jabber and this explains it really well.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

Cool Abe

Post by Cool Abe »

You're most welcome.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

HeHe - I managed to get it to work :D :D :D

I do not know if it was something that I had done (wrong) - most probably - but I found that I had to create the admin Jabber account from the ACP. I was not able to use one that I had already created.

I think that this topic should be made a sticky.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Cool Abe

Post by Cool Abe »

That's interesting, David. As I recall I set up the account first then put the details in the Jabber settings screen. But I've tried that many things I couldn't swear to it!

And yes, the ACP is billed as being able to create an account. Good to know that it works!

destacio

Re: Jabber: a how-too guide

Post by destacio »

Abe,

Thanks for the post! I have question though. I am using a local jabber server, I have several users on the server, but when I put in my jabber address into the control panel on the user control panel I get an error that says invalid jabber address. Because this is a closed network the servers address is along the lines of...

fred.closed.local

where fred is the machine and closed.local is the domain.

With this my jabber address looks like this

Code: Select all

john@fred.closed.local
this works fine in both Trillian and Gaim but PHPBB won't accept it as being a valid jabber account.

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance
D

dark/Rain

Post by dark/Rain »

If you know that it's a valid adress, post a report in the bug tracker. :)

BTW: the Jabber library phpBB uses got changed recently...

snkhan

Post by snkhan »

Having read some of the posts on the bug tracker, I'm still unsure whether the RC1 code has a working version of jabber code. I've set up the details (using jabber.com as the server), phpBB confirms the account was created successfully. However any attempt to send a message does not work (even though phpBB advises the message was sent successfully).

I am using gTalk via Trillian.
snkhan.co.uk

theBlackDragon

Post by theBlackDragon »

snkhan wrote:Having read some of the posts on the bug tracker, I'm still unsure whether the RC1 code has a working version of jabber code. I've set up the details (using jabber.com as the server), phpBB confirms the account was created successfully. However any attempt to send a message does not work (even though phpBB advises the message was sent successfully).

I am using gTalk via Trillian.
I noticed that messages sent to Google Talk's Jabber service tend not to arrive. Regular Jabber servers do tend to work though (tried myjabber.net), so I guess it's more of a Google Talk related issue than a Jabber issue, even though it's pretty annoying.

Maybe Google Talk dissalows messages setn from people not on your contact list? Either way, it would be nice to have this working :)

snkhan

Post by snkhan »

theBlackDragon wrote:I noticed that messages sent to Google Talk's Jabber service tend not to arrive. Regular Jabber servers do tend to work though (tried myjabber.net), so I guess it's more of a Google Talk related issue than a Jabber issue, even though it's pretty annoying.

Maybe Google Talk dissalows messages setn from people not on your contact list? Either way, it would be nice to have this working :)
Hmm, interesting. Trillian's gTalk settings have been set such that anonymous messages can be received. In your jabber settings, have you filled in the resource field? I'll try using myjabber.net to see whether that fixes anything - although I guess you too have experience problems with Google Talk?

Sajid
snkhan.co.uk

theBlackDragon

Post by theBlackDragon »

snkhan wrote:
theBlackDragon wrote:I noticed that messages sent to Google Talk's Jabber service tend not to arrive. Regular Jabber servers do tend to work though (tried myjabber.net), so I guess it's more of a Google Talk related issue than a Jabber issue, even though it's pretty annoying.

Hmm, interesting. Trillian's gTalk settings have been set such that anonymous messages can be received. In your jabber settings, have you filled in the resource field? I'll try using myjabber.net to see whether that fixes anything - although I guess you too have experience problems with Google Talk?

Sajid
I just tried adding my personal account to my forum account (which is a jabber.org account) and then logging in with my forum account and accepting the invitation. Surprise, if the user is in you Google Talk roster AND has been accepted by the other side you can send messages to it, otherwise you can't.

My IM client (Gaim 2 beta 5) has been set up to accept messages from everybody, but it appears that Google blocks this at the server level...

snkhan

Post by snkhan »

Thanks for this, I'll see if there is any documentation at Google Groups with regard to messages not being logged.
snkhan.co.uk

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

The Jabber code in RC1 doesn't work with GTalk, iirc, it should do in RC2
Chris SmithGitHub

Stitch625

Post by Stitch625 »

um...How do I install it? There is no exe or install file :oops:

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Stitch625 wrote:um...How do I install it? There is no exe or install file :oops:
Install what?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”