suggestions - building new website wait on rc1?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
silent1643
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 pm

suggestions - building new website wait on rc1?

Post by silent1643 »

Developing a new website that is forum based with phpbb... what should i start in? stable version? and hope all mods and the style i customize transfer over? or the new beta and just wait..
thanks
Patricia.1970
Registered User
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:03 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Post by Patricia.1970 »

The first thread in this forum is the official "Please read before posting"
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=400287

in it, you can find this:
For some support questions or bug reports we may ask you to re-install the beta, clean tables in the database, purge data or other actions which are not advised to do in a live environment. So please be aware that you are still on your own if you run the beta in such an environment.


what will you do if you can't even upgrade from beta4 to RC or final with your data! (or manually change anything that would have changed in the database structure, for example)?

go with phpbb2.0.x for live (avoid modding too much), and play with the style in a phpbb3 beta on a test environement, to have the style at hands when 3 is out.
Patricia
silent1643
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Post by silent1643 »

thanks, very good suggestion. :?
thanks
Grinch
Registered User
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:44 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by Grinch »

I guess it depends on when you plan to go live. If you are just developing the site, the look and feel, you could probably start playing around with phpbb3 Beta 4. Hopefully RC1 will have little enough changes to throw your themes off. But if you need to actually go live as soon as possible, I would stay far away from Beta 4 and go right to the stable release, which is phpbb2.

Whatever way you go, do not launch with the beta version. You might not be able to upgrade it when the final release is available, and there is no support for the beta versions.
lodp
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Post by lodp »

I'm in the exact same situation ... build for Olympus (style, user database integration) and possibly wait months for a RC, OR build on 2.0x, possibly have Olympus RC come out the following day, and have do it all over again.

I think I'm going for the first option, and delay the release of my site if necessary...

which reminds me to ask ... you WILL be able to go live with RC1, right?
bschelst
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:18 pm

Post by bschelst »

I have the same 'issue'.
phpBB3 is a lot better then version2, especially for me the default LDAP support.
For me, the phpbb2 would be a 'njet'... while the phpbb3 would be a 'GO'.
But then I have the problem that phpbb3 isn't released yet :(

It all depends on 'timings' which we don't really know as far as I know.. will phpbb3 be released next month, next 3 months, next year... makes a big difference no?
'what will you do if you can't even upgrade from beta4 to RC or final with your data! (or manually change anything that would have changed in the database structure, for example)? '


Well, actually..if this is a beta release, NO new features should come in. Because a beta release is actually a 'bug fixing' release...if new features will be implemented in the beta releases, then you can keep on going on releasing beta release :) (new feartures should maybe come as MODS)
Which means that in theory the data structure in the database shouldn't change a lot.




[/quote]
User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 70222
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by KevC »

lodp wrote: which reminds me to ask ... you WILL be able to go live with RC1, right?

Yes.

In the mean time just run phpBB2 and you'll be able to upgrade it to v3 when RC1 comes out.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
User avatar
Lastof
Registered User
Posts: 743
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Lastof »

bschelst wrote: I have the same 'issue'.
phpBB3 is a lot better then version2, especially for me the default LDAP support.
For me, the phpbb2 would be a 'njet'... while the phpbb3 would be a 'GO'.
But then I have the problem that phpbb3 isn't released yet :(

It all depends on 'timings' which we don't really know as far as I know.. will phpbb3 be released next month, next 3 months, next year... makes a big difference no?
'what will you do if you can't even upgrade from beta4 to RC or final with your data! (or manually change anything that would have changed in the database structure, for example)? '


Well, actually..if this is a beta release, NO new features should come in. Because a beta release is actually a 'bug fixing' release...if new features will be implemented in the beta releases, then you can keep on going on releasing beta release :) (new feartures should maybe come as MODS)
Which means that in theory the data structure in the database shouldn't change a lot.


Just because it is feature frozen doesn't mean that there won't be minor or even major database changes to fix bugs, which depending on your level of ability working with a database you may not be able to get past if the developers decide not to release an upgrade script.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 70222
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by KevC »

bschelst wrote: For me, the phpbb2 would be a 'njet'... while the phpbb3 would be a 'GO'.
But then I have the problem that phpbb3 isn't released yet :(


I think you have to look at how many of the features of v3 you would REALLY need to go live with.

Your users won't have a clue if they're running v2, v3 or even if it's phpBB. They just want something usable that they can post on.

Install v2, tell them it's just temporary to get things started and upgrade when the time comes.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Patricia.1970
Registered User
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:03 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Post by Patricia.1970 »

bschelst wrote:
'what will you do if you can't even upgrade from beta4 to RC or final with your data! (or manually change anything that would have changed in the database structure, for example)? '


Well, actually..if this is a beta release, NO new features should come in. Because a beta release is actually a 'bug fixing' release...if new features will be implemented in the beta releases, then you can keep on going on releasing beta release :) (new feartures should maybe come as MODS)
Which means that in theory the data structure in the database shouldn't change a lot.



look at the last commits in cvs stats:
http://area51.phpbb.com/statcvs/#lastlogs

and see changes to the db schema : last time was on Dec 27 ...
look for the word "schema" on that page how many times before (since beta4), and when you click on the "diff" link, see all changes you would have to do manually...
Patricia
lodp
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Post by lodp »

Kevin Clark wrote:
lodp wrote:In the mean time just run phpBB2 and you'll be able to upgrade it to v3 when RC1 comes out.
Yeah, looks like this would be the way to go, if you want to be on the save side. But I don't have the money and resources to build everything (theme, database integration) on phpBB2 and do it all over again for phpBB3 a couple of weeks/months later... so I'm inclined to raise the stakes and have it developed on the basis of the existing beta, hoping it won't take RC1 more than a couple of months to come (and that it won't involve any radical changes).

anybody got experience with fortune tellers on this kind of thing?
Dale King
Registered User
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:48 am
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Dale King »

lodp wrote: But I don't have the money and resources to build everything (theme, database integration) on phpBB2 and do it all over again for phpBB3 a couple of weeks/months later...


Then you are best waiting until it's in RC, as things will most likely change between now and then and you will then have to redo many things anyway.

Patience is a virtue.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”