Just reporting a seamless update from phpBB2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
PaRRoT

Post by PaRRoT »

I resolved... but conversion halted on a blank page.

After "Confirmation". No DB updated.

Now... what's wrong?

MickO

Post by MickO »

Just wanted to post another (neigh on) flawless 2.0.x -> beta5 upgrade (in a test enviornment, of course). It took me a while before I figured out that I needed to install into the same database that I wanted to upgrade. At first I thought it would access one database, create another, then migrate between the two. Overall, a very smooth process. I can't wait for the RC to come out! Bang up job, people!

will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Post by will_hough »

5.i. Requirements before converting wrote: Before converting we heavily recommend you do a full backup of your database and files! If you are unsure how to achieve this please ask your hosting provider for advice. In order to convert, you need to have a new phpBB3 installation within the same database (but with a different prefix) as your old 2.0.x installation. You basically need to follow the basic instructions given for New installations. Please do not overwrite any old files - install phpBB3 at a different location.

Once you made a backup of everything and also have a brand new phpBB3 installation, you can now begin the conversion.

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I also wanted to mention that I have a completely flawless upgrade. No problems whatsoever.

MickO

Post by MickO »

5.i. Requirements before converting wrote: ... In order to convert, you need to have a new phpBB3 installation within the same database (but with a different prefix) as your old 2.0.x installation.
Right - I just followed the old adage "when all else fails, RTFM", "instructions are for the weak" etc etc. See what it got me :)

PaRRoT

Post by PaRRoT »

My installation always halts on this page:
install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&confirm=1

I had:
- installed phpBB 3 in a different location (forum for phpBB2 and forum2 for phpBB3)
- installed phpBB 3 in the same DB (phpbb_ for phpBB2 and phpbb3_ for phpBB3)

PaRRoT

Post by PaRRoT »

Resolved.

ccb056

Post by ccb056 »

Also reporting a seemless update, went from 2.0.21 to RC5 on 3 different forums

Windows Server 2003
Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.0
MySQL 5.0.27

nbeadmin

Post by nbeadmin »

karl....it said it was completed...so i must have missed something i was supposed to do?

i am a bit confused...how do i fix it?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I did a bigger forum backup conversion last night.
50,000 posts and 1300 users. Took about 10-15 minutes from start to finish. Excellent job.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

ccb056 wrote: Also reporting a seemless update, went from 2.0.21 to RC5 on 3 different forums

Windows Server 2003
Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.0
MySQL 5.0.27

hmmm yhou mean beta 5 i guess since rc aint out yet so not to mention rc 5 :P

Tiberath

Post by Tiberath »

>>To perform the update, either follow the instructions from the Administration Control Panel -> System Tab - this should point out that you are running an outdated version and will guide you through the update - or following the instructions listed below.

It doesn't point out an outdated version. All it says is "Success"

nbeadmin

Post by nbeadmin »

well, i saved my changed subsilver and then just did a full install and then replaced the subsilver with my saved one and it seems to do well. deleted the upgraded one.

oh yeah..was having trouble with foxfire but with 5 it seems to be working fine. didn't have any trouble IE7

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

just done a test update of my main forum - and it work good - with just a few minor troubles. (I have it off DNS using my hosts file for access)

The major one of my troubles was :-

I have 147k posts - many with very large content.

Once the update to the posts table got past 100k it slowed down dramatically - such that for each 30 second click I was sometimes only getting one post converted. Avarage about 20 posts per 30 seconds.

Once that table was finished it went like a 'bomb' so it seemed to be a problem with the 30 second restarts and very large tables.

The server I did this conversion on is MUCH smaller than my live machine - smaller memory, smaller processor etc, so it may well work better on the live machine when it is required.

It may on reflection have been better to consider the update offline on my own machine as some have suggested.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Edinho

Post by Edinho »

Worked here too from 2.0.22 to 3.0b5 no problems.

Well done :D

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”