Eval B5 RC1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
harosan

Eval B5 RC1

Post by harosan »

Don't know if this is right place to post. Eval for client. Dwnld current version. Useability issues, which seem to be resolved in Beta5 so some ?s
1. Are these included in 3.x
* WSIWYG post editor... must have
* attachments... imbeded images must have... docs would be nice
* spell check for post editor... must have
* password for categories or groups vs hiden and mod. adds
2. Are there mods that implement in interim.
3. Will RC1 have any support in live vs prod envir. :lol:
I really like the concept behind phpbb and would like to choose over cmcl competitor, but just couldn't in good conscience propose to client w/o above fixed or some decent workarounds.
Depending on answers am planning to dwnld 30B5 and start participating (after I've moved / reimpl test forum)

Thanks for assist as you probably didn't have the time to babysit :P
agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

huh?
harosan

Oops

Post by harosan »

Perhaps I type too fast and step on my tongue...
I am evaluating for client and have downloaded, configured, skinned, run a test forum. I found some useability issues that are must haves for client list with astericks (*) in post.
First, I'm trying to find out if these are included in 3.0
Second, if so are mods available to install for 2.x
Finally, if one should install 3RC1 in live environment :lol: will there be a modicum of support.

Busy... busy... busy!
agent00shoe

Re: Eval B5 RC1

Post by agent00shoe »

oooh

wysiwyg - no
attachments - yes
spell check - no
passworded forums? - yes
mods in the works - probably
RC1 in a live environment - yep, that'll be ok
harosan

Ok!

Post by harosan »

Thanks agent00shoe... obviously i'm not only new, but snowed...
So... I saw wsiwyg mods for 2.2 most in devel... one even allowed attachments. Seemed a little kluggy... how can you tell stability of mod... any hits on how to eval a lot in a hurry, most didn't seem to have demos.

Finally, are rc's stable enough for live forum.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

don't expect the "wysiwyg" editor mod to be ported to v3. this MOD relies on embedding html directly in posts, an option that exists in v2 and is removed (for security) from v3.
if/when there will be an olympus wysiwyg editor, it will have to be a new development. ttbomk, all the existing wysiwyg editors rely on embedding html tags within the text, a strategy which is not compatible with olympus.

i too would love to see spell check functionality, but there is hope: ff 2.0 has a built-in spell checker in the browser, and i believe that there is an ie add-on for this purpose, so, it seems that spell check functionality is moved, by consensus, from the server to the client.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Mods that are accepted and posted on this forum have been checked and are maintained - except those in the room marked mods in development.

They should be stable etc - BUT is no mods yet for phpBB3.

RC1 - is it stable.

It will be the first version that will be supported in a live enviornment - it is almost without saying that some bugs WILL be found at that time, even with all the extensive testing that everyone has been doing.

SO - lots will be moving to phpBB3 with RC1 - but also a lot of people will wait for RC2 or gold.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

I'd argue that a spell checker is something that ought to be in a browser and not in server-side software.

A WYSIWYG editor is pretty far down the list as well.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
matthewf

Post by matthewf »

who needs a spell checker in a BBS software when there is firefox V2 and its a good spell checker, (helped me a lot :D )
Jailout2000

Post by Jailout2000 »

You've got a point... plus to top it off if you KNOW its wrong you can right click and choose "Add to dictionary", which i've been doing alot >.> like for one "Its", instead of "It's"

NOTE: the firefox dictionary IS case-sensitive so like "Hello world If" would be wrong and "Hello world if" would be correct, not saying it is wrong but that was an example, you'll have to find a word yourself thats wrong lol

Another word "i'm" it says is wrong but "I'm" has no problem with it lol

--EDIT:
Also, these spell checkers in Firefox are only for boxes which you can type in which means if someone else has a typo and they post it and you see it in the "forum's topics" area then it wont appear has Incorrect.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”