Delete and Purge?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Timmer

Delete and Purge?

Post by Timmer »

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

How does Olympus handle delete functions at the database level?

In my opinion, the functions "Delete Post" and "Delete Topic" should not actually remove records from the database. Instead, the functions should simply set a YES/NO field in the appropriate tables named "deleted."

An admin function would allow for the permanent purging of records based on the status of the deleted field. (Preferably with automatic and manual modes.) This would allow boards with extreme space restraints to purge as soon as needed.

This functionality would be similar to the Recycle Bin in Windows and would allow for the restoring of items mistakenly deleted. (In my case, I lost a VERY important thread when it was mistakenly deleted by a moderator. The information is now gone and there is absolutely nothing I can do.)

At the very least, delete/restore functionality should be available for actions that can be taken by persons with moderator access. This will allow board admins greater protection and control of managing their own sites and recovering from the mistakes of others.

Is this kind of delete/restore functionality included in Olympus?

Thanks!

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

As far as I can see phpbb3 works the same as phpbb2 - when an item is deleted it is removed from the database. The answer from a developer would be do not give moderator permissions to anybody that you cannot trust!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I believe that it was mentioned at some point that "soft delete" was planned for 3.2, but, I may be mistaken.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

david63

Post by david63 »

Another point to consider is to have a backup regime so that if some data is deleted you would be able to do a restore.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

viziouz

Post by viziouz »

Or you can disable delete for everybody including moderators. Instead make a trash forum and have them move topics there.

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

that would work also, but as its already been pointed out, don't give mod permissions to those that you don't trust, and to be honest with you, I stand by that, while a recycle bin aprrouch or soft delete option might be useful on restoring the occasion thread or topic, but if you trust mods amd admin you wouldn't have fall back on this, the other thing is, if you don't give mods the power to delete stuff then I wouldn't really call them a true mod, but I guess its down to personal choice really

Timmer

Post by Timmer »

As far as trusting mods, of course I do. But everyone makes mistakes. I mistakenly deleted a whole thread myself once, when I was intending to delete only a single post.

Yes, backups are great, but usually don't help to fix something that happened in the last 15 minutes.

In any case, I guess I got my answer. I consider this a fairly sizable hole in phpBB and I don't understand the logic of why soft delete is not built in.

Thanks for the great ideas. I plan to implement some of them.

cpayyan

Post by cpayyan »

it might be useful to hav a recyclebin/trash forum. As with the installation the first category is made, another forum/category can be made and in the ACP it can be mentioned (to enable/disable). from all other forums when topic is deleted should go to the recycle bin by default and if deleted from recycle bin shoud be deleted for ever.

this can be applicable only for topics. for deleting specific post i dont think this bin is to be used.

Timmer

Re: Delete and Purge?

Post by Timmer »

I wish more people were interested in soft delete and purge.

My moderators are really struggling with the split topic feature in RC1. In an attempt to clean things up after a split topic gone awry, one of my moderators yesterday accidentally deleted a lot of posts.

It just feels so helpless when these posts go missing. With an admin-controlled "purge" function they'd still be there for me to restore. No harm, no foul.

:(

david63

Post by david63 »

Then do not give the moderator permission to delete.
David

dark/Rain

Post by dark/Rain »

And create a "Trash/Recyle Bin" forum... Simply say to your mods that they should not delete topics etc. but move it to this forum instead. Set the permissions so that only mods can see the forum.
Maybe you can even set auto purge for this form to have the older topics removed...
Not as nice as "soft delete", but it's worth a try IMO...

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”