Large Attachments 500MB+

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Triggy

Large Attachments 500MB+

Post by Triggy »

I was wondering If there is a way, to enable the system to allow large attachments.

I have edited the php.ini file, to accept upto 2GB files, but the phpbb3 times out, when trying to upload large files.

Alså the progressbar would be nice to show percentage instead of just a random animation.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Large Attachments 500MB+

Post by karlsemple »

Triggy wrote: I was wondering If there is a way, to enable the system to allow large attachments.

I have edited the php.ini file, to accept upto 2GB files, but the phpbb3 times out, when trying to upload large files.

Alså the progressbar would be nice to show percentage instead of just a random animation.

what did you edit in the php.ini to allow these upload sizes? does the server machine have several gig of ram memory?

Have you also set the attachment settings correctly in phpBB3 to allow the upload size?

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

Such huge attachments are utterly unsupported... you would need to raise the time limit as well as the maximum post size too.

Triggy

Post by Triggy »

the post size has been changed also.

The time limit, im not too proud of making higher at php.ini state.
Isn't there a way of overriding this time limit at the top og the upload script ?

imac600

Post by imac600 »

I somehow doubt it. The problem you describe seems to be occuring higher in the system than the phpBB software. The only real way to allow this is to edit the timeout and limits like Acyd Burn recommended, in the php.ini file.

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

i suspect that your problem is still php.ini .
the "secret" is that there are 2 separate values that need to be changed in order to increase max upload size:

post_max_size
upload_max_filesize

if you only change the 2nd one (many people make this mistake) you are still limited by the 1st, which has the same 2M default. you must change both in order to increase max upload size.

hope it helps.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Although this would constitute a mod you can put these directives into the script if you do not have access to your php.ini file.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Even more: memory_limit limits max_post_size; max_post_size limits upload_max_filesize
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

Now whilst I gather and understand that phpBB3 is utterly awesome, the attachments functionality was only ever meant for smallish files (under 8MB), since there are far better methods of transfering large files, namely via BitTorrent (hurray OSS) with some clients allowing trackerless torrents.

Alternative, do as they do on Usenet and split your large files (RAR for example) into more manageable chunks, of say 4MB a piece which can be uploaded individually and "re-assembled" by the downloader.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

DJ Bolivia

8 Meg Limit

Post by DJ Bolivia »

Being able to upload slightly larger files would be useful for some users.

For example, WAV files of music, or larger MP3's. I'm not thinking of MP3 sharing in terms of piracy, but for producers. I'm a DJ and producer, and for example, it would be nice to be able to quickly attach elements of a produced song onto posts on a thread in a message board. For example, if I've got a song that has a drum track, vocal track, piano track, bass track, and guitar track, I might want to upload each of those elements separately, as well as a mixdown of the whole group, so other musicians can use parts of my work for remixing the song.

That's not actually hard for me to do now, because I just FTP the different files onto my own DJ site and create a specific download page in HTML for the track, and give that link out to people whom I collaborate with. But for facilitating more general distribution by people without FTP access, the larger sized attachments would be very, very useful.

Just a thought. By the time everyone is arguing about phpBB4.0 betas, I'm sure people will look at 100meg files as "tiny".

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I understand your point, but I have to wonder just how many phpBB users have the hosting resources to meaningfully support 500MB+ attachments (the original poster was experimenting with a 2GB file limit). Those that do, I should think, aren't in the position of having to rely on phpBB for distribution of large files, and any relevant client software isn't cost prohibitive.

Maybe by the time phpBB 4 rolls around things will be different.

DJ Bolivia

Post by DJ Bolivia »

Yes, that is definitely a consideration. My ISP (Netfirms) allows 150 gigs of storage and 1500 gigs of bandwidth per month, for $14.95 per month. That 150 gigs is a LOT of space for a site, but a large forum allowing that kind of file sizes would still eat that up pretty quickly, if it was open for public use. Public users would flood the forum with mixes and movies and other crap, so it would have to be some sort of restricted-access setup.

Can't wait to get my first "one petabyte" portable drive, in another decade or so. I guess we can pick up this discussion then ...

houser

Post by houser »

I am playing around with huge files on my test phpbb3 installation.
It seems to work really, really well. Just edit the php.ini and then use
it as you would, just with larger files.
Why is this a bad idea? Technical reasons I am missing?

ftp, bitttorrent is great for some things...but sending and receiving files
large or small is something that phpbb3 does really well out of the box IMHO.

The add all the obvious other features for communication that phpbb3 is...notification and permissions to begin with...but that list goes on and on..all the stuff in phpbb3 is truly great for this...
I think it is also safe to say that sending larger audio and video files is a pretty sure thing to happen more and more.

Could the devteam be missing the obvious point that phpbb3 is truly great for this _right now_ ...or am I missing something obvious technical?

best
jtm

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

The question remains....what would you be uploading which is that size and legal? 8)

houser

Post by houser »

Simpleanswer:
I run a company that makes large sound and video files all the time and need to share these with clots of people in the process.
Very legal :wink:

I am playing around with replacing our current ftp with a phpbb3 board.
Huge promise IMHO.
Hosting on my own OSX server is a breeze after having edited the php.ini.
I don't see why this is not inherently great??
It is like a new GUI-based great modern ftp environment from h*ll ,-)

I ammissing something I am sure...

best
jtm
karlsemple wrote: The question remains....what would you be uploading which is that size and legal? 8)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”