500 server error when I try to convert

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Amezis
Registered User
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:10 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Amezis »

Edit:
This is the fix for everyone getting a 500 server error when they try to convert their board

Simply add the following code at the beginning of the file install/install_convert.php:

Code: Select all

set_time_limit(20);
Some people have reported that the value 20 didn't work, but 10 did. So if 20 doesn't work for you, try a lower value. Personally, I used 40 and it worked fine. ;)

--------- Original message -------
I'm trying to convert my existing board to test and eventually start making new templates similar to my old ones. I've uploaded and installed phpBB3, but when I try to convert, I get a 500 server error. This is what I've done:

1. Installed phpBB 3 correctly, it seems to work fine.
2. Went back to the installation file (install/index.php), clicked the "Convert tab"
3. Selected "convert" in the phpBB 2.0.X row
4. Entered the information, click "Begin conversion"
5. Got another message that indicated that the information was correct, clicked "Begin conversion" again
6. The page takes a while to load, and when it's finally loaded, a 500 server error message is shown

This is what the error log shows:
[Mon May 21 13:05:08 2007] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: /home/xxxxx/public_html/phpbb3/install/index.php

I've tried enabling and disabling "Refresh page to continue conversion", but with no luck. My board has about 36000 posts and 6000 users. I'm on a shared server.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Amezis on Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amezis

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Amezis
Registered User
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:10 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Amezis »

These entries seem to have been converted:
Banlist - 214/214
Config - 227/256 (probably some useless mods that have some config entries in the old forums)
Vote_results/poll_options - 1,222/1,222
vote_poll_voters/poll_votes - 1828/1828
forums - 67/60 - Got more forums for some reason
topics - 5,822/5,822
posts - 9,080/35,950
So it seems that the conversion stopped when the posts were converted. Any suggestions?
Amezis

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Parasytic
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Parasytic »

Same error here. Converting a "moderately" modified phpBB2 to RC1.

I am also on a shared host, and increasing PHP's maximum execution time is not helping. The script exits after 35-45 seconds, and nothing appears in my error log. I am able to use the "Continue Conversion" button to continue converting more and more posts, but it only does approximately 100 at a time. I have 31,000 posts to convert with this method... oh shi-
Last edited by Parasytic on Wed May 23, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
karlsemple
Former Team Member
Posts: 39802
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:54 am
Location: Hereford, UK
Contact:

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by karlsemple »

Are you guys running out of date attachment mods on your phpBB2 forums?
Image

User avatar
Kellanved
Former Team Member
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Meta-level

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Kellanved »

Increase the maximum execution time and especially the memory limit in your php.ini :D

If that is not possible, try continuing the crashing conversion.

If that doesn't help either, then convert the database locally.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Parasytic
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Parasytic »

No. I do not have any attachment mods installed on the phpBB2. Here is my list from EasyMOD:

Easy Banned Ordering 1.0.0
Simply Merge Threads 1.0.2
Birthdays 3.0.0
BBCode StrikeThrough 1.4.0
Multiple BBCode MOD 1.4.0c
Lock/Unlock in Posting Body 1.0.1
phpBB 2.0.21 to phpBB 2.0.22 Code Changes 1.0.0
Advanced User Search 1.0.2
Open Proxy Blacklist Blocker 0.0.1
Salt Passwords 2.0.1
IP Unmasker 1.0.0
Log IP Address on Registration 1.0.0
Users set Posts & Topics count 1.0.1
My Quick Reply Static Form Addon 1.0.0
My Quick Reply Lock/Unlock Addon 1.0.1
My Quick Reply 1.0.6
PM Popup Blocker Fix 1.0.0
Easy BotStopper 1.0.0
User Shield 1.2.1
phpBB 2.0.20 to phpBB 2.0.21 Code Changes 1.0.1
EasyMOD 0.3.0

Parasytic
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Parasytic »

Kellanved wrote:Increase the maximum execution time and especially the memory limit in your php.ini :D

If that is not possible, try continuing the crashing conversion.

If that doesn't help either, then convert the database locally.
phpinfo() reports:

Code: Select all

max_execution_time	300
max_input_time	60
memory_limit	64M
Still terminating after 35 seconds, and still nothing showing in error logs. Converting the DB locally will be a pain, but I guess it's the last resort. :\

Amezis
Registered User
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:10 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Amezis »

Yes, I do have many mods. However, I found a fix to this problem:

Add this to the top of install/install_convert.php:

Code: Select all

set_time_limit(40);
It actually did the job, the conversion went through successfully.

I do not have access to php.ini, and I believe there are many other users who are on a shared server and are not able to edit php.ini ;)

By the way Parasytic, I don't think it was the best idea to salt the passwords; they're not going to be converted correctly unless you find another way to convert them and add the same mod to your phpBB3 forum (you'll probably have to code it in yourself, though).
Amezis

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

User avatar
mruwek
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:14 am

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by mruwek »

Kellanved wrote: If that doesn't help either, then convert the database locally.
How??
"Every gun make his own tune..."

User avatar
Blueracer66
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:04 am
Location: San Jose, California
Name: Nelson Eguizabal
Contact:

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Blueracer66 »

Amezis wrote:I'm trying to convert my existing board to test and eventually start making new templates similar to my old ones. I've uploaded and installed phpBB3, but when I try to convert, I get a 500 server error. This is what I've done:

1. Installed phpBB 3 correctly, it seems to work fine.
2. Went back to the installation file (install/index.php), clicked the "Convert tab"
3. Selected "convert" in the phpBB 2.0.X row
4. Entered the information, click "Begin conversion"
5. Got another message that indicated that the information was correct, clicked "Begin conversion" again
6. The page takes a while to load, and when it's finally loaded, a 500 server error message is shown

This is what the error log shows:
[Mon May 21 13:05:08 2007] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: /home/xxxxx/public_html/phpbb3/install/index.php

I've tried enabling and disabling "Refresh page to continue conversion", but with no luck. My board has about 36000 posts and 6000 users. I'm on a shared server.

Any suggestions?
Hey, tried what I did. It may work for you, too! http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &p=2985323
Behind Every Corner. Hiding in Every Shadow. Evil Waits. Resident Evil Fanboy [beta]

Parasytic
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Parasytic »

Amezis wrote:Yes, I do have many mods. However, I found a fix to this problem:

Add this to the top of install/install_convert.php:

Code: Select all

set_time_limit(40);
It actually did the job, the conversion went through successfully.

I do not have access to php.ini, and I believe there are many other users who are on a shared server and are not able to edit php.ini ;)

By the way Parasytic, I don't think it was the best idea to salt the passwords; they're not going to be converted correctly unless you find another way to convert them and add the same mod to your phpBB3 forum (you'll probably have to code it in yourself, though).
Salt Password for phpBB3: http://phpbbmodders.net/viewtopic.php?t=1479 :)

And thanks for the info, I will try your fix.

Parasytic
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Parasytic »

set_time_limit() works great! I used a value of 20, myself. (The Salt Passwords MOD for RC1 is not perfect, and could use an update. But I've got it installed and all is looking well!)

User avatar
Cammie
Registered User
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:58 am

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by Cammie »

Amezis wrote:Yes, I do have many mods. However, I found a fix to this problem:

Add this to the top of install/install_convert.php:

Code: Select all

set_time_limit(40);
It actually did the job, the conversion went through successfully.

I do not have access to php.ini, and I believe there are many other users who are on a shared server and are not able to edit php.ini ;)

By the way Parasytic, I don't think it was the best idea to salt the passwords; they're not going to be converted correctly unless you find another way to convert them and add the same mod to your phpBB3 forum (you'll probably have to code it in yourself, though).
When you say "add this to the top" where exactly do you mean? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but no matter where I try to put it at the top of that file I end up with an error message telling me it doesn't belong there. Thank you.

User avatar
oshawapilot
Registered User
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by oshawapilot »

Ahhh...was I glad to find this post.

I'm hosting on 1&1 as well and was being dogged by the 500 server error.

I added set_time_limit(10); to the top of install_convert.php and it's hapilly chugging along now.

I tried "20" and even that presented the server error, although (in at least the case of 1&1) 10 works like a charm.

After discovering this it's now converting like a charm.
___
Mark

RiK
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:26 pm

Re: 500 server error when I try to convert

Post by RiK »

Yup, also on 1and1 here and I can confirm that after making the same set_time_limit(10); mod it worked like a charm and the board is now up and running fine.

:)

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”