error posting images/adding remote avatars

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Dark Soul

error posting images/adding remote avatars

Post by Dark Soul »

I've been running into the error "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" while trying to do remote url avatars and while trying to display images in posts
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8863/errorbv7.png

Your board's URL: http://www.assassinsdamned.com/forum/index.php
Version of phpBB3: RC1
Was this an update from a previous version? I updated from a phpbb 2.0 install
Was this an install through your host? I installed it myself
MODs you have installed: none
When the problem started: yesterday
Template(s) used: have a couple versions of the 'glass themes' installed, but Im using prosilver atm
Version of PHP used: 4.4.2
Database and version used: MySQL , 4.1.21
Do you have a test account for us? no, but can create one if needed

Lastof

Re: error posting images/adding remote avatars

Post by Lastof »

That is generally seen either if the image doesn't exist, isn't accessible, or the function getimagesize() is disabled.

The first two, would be something you would have to fix.

The third, you need to talk to your host about.

However, it should now check that getimagesize() is enabled on installation of RC1, which leads me to suspect that this might be an upgrade from a beta version, before it checked, and thus, unsupported.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

Dark Soul

Post by Dark Soul »

it's not a upgrade from a beta...I followed the rules from Acyd's 'getting support' thread
It's from a modified 2.0 install

I know it's something I have to fix...always is

the images are hosted with either imageshack or photobucket depending on user preference, so it shouldnt be a accessiblity issue...

is there somewhere I can look at the 'getimagesize()' to see if it's enabled?
yeah, I know that was probably a noob question, but better to ask all than just some.

*edit*

I checked with my host and " getimagesize() " IS enabled.
Last edited by Dark Soul on Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Soul

Post by Dark Soul »

I just installed a fresh install (not a converted 2.0 board) and checked it on there. It will allow me to use the [img][/img] tags and not get the error. As well as allow me to upload an avatar from a URL. But it's still kicks up that error when trying to use 'link off-site' feature of using an avatar

I'll create test accounts with u/n and p/w as test at this url: here

jlomaga

Post by jlomaga »

I am having the same issue with remote avatars, I link to the image and it gives me the can't determine dimensions error. THe images worked on my phpbb 2.0 board. When I converted the images in place still worked but I wanted to increase the resize to a higher number. The pics didn't resize so I deleted them to try and re link to them, and then i got the error.

ALso get the error in the ACP "
Warning

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
"

jlomaga

Post by jlomaga »

Now I am getting this same error when trying to insert an img into a sig. I have imgs set on for sigs.

**edit** if you turn off the max size setting it works.

hansch

Post by hansch »

jlomaga wrote:I am having the same issue with remote avatars, I link to the image and it gives me the can't determine dimensions error. THe images worked on my phpbb 2.0 board. When I converted the images in place still worked but I wanted to increase the resize to a higher number. The pics didn't resize so I deleted them to try and re link to them, and then i got the error.

ALso get the error in the ACP "
Warning

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
"
I have exactly the same error. Has this been posted in bug tracker?

Dark Soul

Post by Dark Soul »

Not that I know of...

But have had many side projects I've been working on to pay much attention to the bugtracker lately.

jlomaga

Post by jlomaga »

**POSSIBLE FIX**
OK so this is what worked I was running php 4.x.x my webhost has php 5.x but 4 is the default after adding this to my .htaccess file remote imgs works fine across the board, so if you have godaddy as your host and either change your .htaccess or add these two lines into the file(this comes direct from godaddy help files)

Code: Select all

AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php
AddHandler x-httpd-php .php4
Then give godaddy an hour or so to do its .htaccess updates and your forums should be running at php 5.x.x you can verify your php version in the ACP--->php information and you should be running PHP Version 5.1.4 once you do that avatars will resize to the setting you have and should work fine or at least mine are now.

UberSkilled.com

Post by UberSkilled.com »

The error comes (in my situation anyway) from not having remote fopens allowed by my host.

phpBB3 uses a remote fopen to check the images dimensions so it can output the correct size. A snazzy feature, but I would like to find a way to disable this check and use the "old way" (phpBB2) of remote images, for people who have this problem.

Wouldn't this create lag issues if people have semi-accessible avatars/images in their post. I'd imagine the timeout would only be a few seconds, but if you had 10 avatars on the page and a few images...

It's unfixable on my end, as my host diables it, unless I start editing the phpBB3 code. Now as support is already limited and I haven't looked at the phpBB3 code yet, I'm hesitant to start editing :P.

Any solutions from the 3.0.x team? :). Or if anyone knows the code well enough to post a hardcode solution...

Thanks guys,

/Whitey

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”