It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Fife Club

Re: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Post by Fife Club » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm on phpBB3.0 and I get that same error too.

My php settings say that allow_url_fopen is set to On and On, and the code above didn't solve it for me. I can't include images in posts (that are already in existing posts from before the upgrade). What else can be done? Is there something else I can ask the host to check/change?

mrsmiley

Post by mrsmiley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:29 am

Dreamhost Users:

You CAN edit your PHP.INI file. I had to dig around for this myself, as we were getting the 'not possible' error on signature and avatar images. Too many places to try and custom recode quickly, so I looked for solutions.
That was absolutely brilliant. Worked perfectly.

For those wondering how to create an .htaccess file, click here to go to Dreamhost's support wiki.

tkrupka

Post by tkrupka » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 am

I'm working with Startlogic.

Ran this:

Code: Select all

<?php

$info = getimagesize("Pemmah_Iroe_02.jpg");

foreach ($info as $key => $value)
{
   echo $value."<br />";
}

?>
I got this back:

width="327" height="200"
image/jpeg

Ran this (called out the same folder by name):

<?php

$info = getimagesize("http://the-jedl-order.com//test/Pemmah_Iroe_02.jpg");

foreach ($info as $key => $value)
{
   echo $value."<br />";
}

?>
I got this back:

Warning: getimagesize(http://the-jedl-order.com//test/Pemmah_Iroe_02.jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in /hermes/bosweb/web246/b2465/sl.the-jedl/public_html/test/getimagesizeremote.php on line 3

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hermes/bosweb/web246/b2465/sl.the-jedl/public_html/test/getimagesizeremote.php on line 5

I ran a test of PHP on the server and got this back:

Directive(Local Value/Master Value)
allow_call_time_pass_reference(On/On)
allow_url_fopen (On/On)
allow_url_include(Off/Off)

Any suggestions?

tkrupka

Post by tkrupka » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:16 am

Looks like it is a problem with the hosting site. They said that it should work. But, they agree that it isn't and are looking into it.

Fife Club

Post by Fife Club » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 am

Fife Club wrote:I'm on phpBB3.0 and I get that same error too.

My php settings say that allow_url_fopen is set to On and On, and the code above didn't solve it for me. I can't include images in posts (that are already in existing posts from before the upgrade). What else can be done? Is there something else I can ask the host to check/change?
Again, what exactly am I asking the host to check or change since allow_url_fopen is set to On and On?

Jacksel

Post by Jacksel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm

The mod indicated before did solve the problem of posting images in a topic, but it's still not possible to post an avatar... It's the same as with >>>Ana, it worked before and suddenly stopped working. Am considering just removing those size limits, but I don't really want to... I will if I must...

Jacksel

Post by Jacksel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Jacksel wrote:The mod indicated before did solve the problem of posting images in a topic, but it's still not possible to post an avatar... It's the same as with >>>Ana, it worked before and suddenly stopped working. Am considering just removing those size limits, but I don't really want to... I will if I must...
Have found a workaround. If all users enter the size of the image e.g. 100x100 pix it will work. If they don't enter the size, it won't work... Weird, but hey, it works now :ugeek:

marcus0263

Post by marcus0263 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 am

The core question is why is allow_url_fopen required for phpBB3?
This is a problem, why?
Here’s a simple example of why allow_url_fopen is a problem in the real world.

I’ve seen several cases where people wrote a PHP script designed to display a bunch of content on a page with a fixed header and footer. They write it something like this:

And then they run it with something like “http://www.example.com/index.php?page=page5.html”.

All it takes is someone to come along and type “http://www.example.com/index.php?page=h ... script.txt”, and if allow_url_fopen is turned on, PHP will happily run any PHP code contained in evilscript.txt. It could delete all your files, deface your site, attack other servers… whatever.

Moral: allow_url_fopen should *always* be off unless you absolutely need it.
Is there any work on a patch to fix this hole?

lli

Post by lli » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:52 pm

I fixed it by putting the allow_url_fopen inside a FilesMatch in the Virtual Server definition, like this, the default virtual server:

<Directory /var/www/*/web>
    Options +Includes -Indexes
    AllowOverride None
    AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    <Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Deny from all
    </Files>
    <FilesMatch "\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
        php_flag allow_url_fopen on
    </FilesMatch>
</Directory>
This was a result of reading bits and pieces on several sites and bolting them together, so thanks to the many people who helped :)

If this doesn't work for you, the

<FilesMatch "\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
        php_flag allow_url_fopen on
    </FilesMatch>
can go into the virtual server definition for a particular site (or for each site). It could, I suspect, even go into a .htaccess.
Dave

Arkantos Khan

Post by Arkantos Khan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm

OK, I edited the message_parser.php and now I can post images within the allowed size but... there is a new problem!, I get this ugly thing on the top of the page:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/message_parser.php on line 315: curl_setopt(): CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when in safe_mode or an open_basedir is set
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Any solution?

SLAMA Photography

Post by SLAMA Photography » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:23 am