Conversion does not complete

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
RATT

Re: Conversion does not complete

Post by RATT »

I'm getting the same errors. Converting from 2.22 to 3.0RC1 Firefox wants to download the index.php file and IE Times out showing page cannot be displayed.
JP6504

Post by JP6504 »

I successfully installed RC1, but repeatedly got an error when trying to convert from 2.0.22

I don't have that error message, but as RC2 was just released, I thought I'd upgrade to that and see if that helped - during *that* upgrade process, I get this error message:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/www/theprf/forum1/includes/diff/engine.php on line 249
This is very much like the error I got when I couldn't complete the conversion earlier, with only the numerical details and location within the includes folder being different. Clearly it seems to be a memory issue, but I'm not bumping up against any known limits. Any ideas?
RATT

Post by RATT »

I think it has alot to do with the search words and search word match tables in the phpbb2 data base during step 4 trying to convert all of those into the phpbb3 database at once in one step. If that is the case then maybe breaking that conversion process down into 2 or 3 process steps would stop the exhaustion. Members, posts, topics, groups etc.. convert with no problem because when i got to step 4 which i think is when it tries to convert the search over exhausts but then you can manually put 5 where 4 was in the url and it will complete leaving you to have to build the search index from the system tab in the acp and causes loads of errors in the MySQL database after conversion.
Mike_PL

Post by Mike_PL »

My convesion does not complete too. After conversion I can see buttons like new topic, quote, edit, itp. (prosilver and subsilver2). This button not show... Why? Please help me.
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

RATT wrote:I think it has alot to do with the search words and search word match tables in the phpbb2 data base during step 4 trying to convert all of those into the phpbb3 database at once in one step. If that is the case then maybe breaking that conversion process down into 2 or 3 process steps would stop the exhaustion. Members, posts, topics, groups etc.. convert with no problem because when i got to step 4 which i think is when it tries to convert the search over exhausts but then you can manually put 5 where 4 was in the url and it will complete leaving you to have to build the search index from the system tab in the acp and causes loads of errors in the MySQL database after conversion.
All lengthy operations are broken up; the search tables are not converted at all.

Depending on the system setup, 8MB can simply be not enough ram to complete these actions. We recommend doing conversions on a local PC or a dedicated server; shared webspace is not intended for such heavy operations.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
JP6504

Post by JP6504 »

Kellanved wrote:
RATT wrote:I think it has alot to do with the search words and search word match tables in the phpbb2 data base during step 4 trying to convert all of those into the phpbb3 database at once in one step. If that is the case then maybe breaking that conversion process down into 2 or 3 process steps would stop the exhaustion. Members, posts, topics, groups etc.. convert with no problem because when i got to step 4 which i think is when it tries to convert the search over exhausts but then you can manually put 5 where 4 was in the url and it will complete leaving you to have to build the search index from the system tab in the acp and causes loads of errors in the MySQL database after conversion.
All lengthy operations are broken up; the search tables are not converted at all.

Depending on the system setup, 8MB can simply be not enough ram to complete these actions. We recommend doing conversions on a local PC or a dedicated server; shared webspace is not intended for such heavy operations.
So that's what the error meant - that only 8MB of RAM was available? Where? On my host's server? And your recommendation is to DL the entire database, complete the conversion locally and then upload everything? Sorry if I sounds incredulous, that just sounds silly (especially that my host would only have 8MB of RAM available on their server) and I want to make sure I've got it right. :-)
RATT

Post by RATT »

Kellanved wrote:All lengthy operations are broken up; the search tables are not converted at all.

Theres noway it's being broken down that small especially getting an exhaustion error like this.

Code: Select all

[26-Jun-2007 03:48:46] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted
Step 4 needs to be broken down even more since that's the one that causes all of the problems.
S_G

Post by S_G »

Well, for those of you stuck at a blank page, check to see if your /cache/ directory (and the files within it) have the correct permissions set -- they must be writable.

I manually debugged the files, and eventually ended up at function save in acm_file.php. According to where it locked up, it was SUPPOSED to send an error message, but didn't. Once I set the correct permissions, the converter continued on happily.
lax.slash14228

Post by lax.slash14228 »

I am updating RC1 to RC2, and I am also getting a similar error... phpBB3/install/index.php?mode=update&sub=file_check turns out Cannot find server error... I don't know what's going on... the rest of my sites up... HELP!! :?:
mbhpotter

Post by mbhpotter »

S_G wrote:Well, for those of you stuck at a blank page, check to see if your /cache/ directory (and the files within it) have the correct permissions set -- they must be writable.

I manually debugged the files, and eventually ended up at function save in acm_file.php. According to where it locked up, it was SUPPOSED to send an error message, but didn't. Once I set the correct permissions, the converter continued on happily.
can you please write down the fixes needed?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”