Install 3.0 RC1 into sf.net project

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
krho

Install 3.0 RC1 into sf.net project

Post by krho » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:49 am

Hi *,

I'm trying to install 3.0 RC1 into my project webspace on sf.net. in order to upgrade 2.0.22.
I set cache, files, store directories permissions to 777 and config.php file permissions to 666 but installer in req. section still says that all of them are unwritable.

dir & file owners are my sf.net username: project group name

Regards,
Miha
si.Mail - small open source e-mail client, with some unique features not found in any other commercial or oss client

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Re: Install 3.0 RC1 into sf.net project

Post by ToonArmy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 pm

I think sourceforge disallows writing files to their web space, afaik.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

krho

Post by krho » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Group Directories are Read-Only: The project web servers mount project group directories read-only. The following means are available for storing writable data (i.e. for project applications):
I went to read documentation and found out that you are right (I don't have a clue when they changed polcy). ATM I'm using a workaround sym links to /tmp/persistent as suggested in sf.net web hosting documents, but it would be fine if this could be disabled in final version. Another problem with readonly is then later with images/* directory when upgrading from 2.0.x version.

Regards,
Miha
si.Mail - small open source e-mail client, with some unique features not found in any other commercial or oss client

ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:51 pm

krho wrote:ATM I'm using a workaround sym links to /tmp/persistent as suggested in sf.net web hosting documents, but it would be fine if this could be disabled in final version.
What should be disabled?
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

krho

Post by krho » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:23 pm

ToonArmy wrote:
krho wrote:ATM I'm using a workaround sym links to /tmp/persistent as suggested in sf.net web hosting documents, but it would be fine if this could be disabled in final version.
What should be disabled?
If folders for cache, files, store are found unwritable then caching and uploading... should be disabled I think that a lot of users use phpBB on sf.net hosting so you'll get a lot questions when they are going to upgrade to 3.0
And also sf.net is discouraging the usage of workaround described on their page.

Regards,
Miha

GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 pm

I agree. I'm also having this problem, though with RC3. I've finally gotten around to update the forums from 2.0.8 (bad, I know), and then I run into this. Not fun.

GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:26 am

It was brought to my attention that a database-based cache system was once in place, but has since been removed from CVS. This prompted me to submit a bug tracker request for its re-implementation: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=13291.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Symlinking to /tmp/persistent would be the recommended way, there are not many web servers run with the www folder mounted read only. The database based caching was removed because its a bit silly really. It would be quicker just to compile the templates and query the data normally.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”