Profile fields

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
CaptainB

Profile fields

Post by CaptainB »

Hi!

How do I make so that only some of my custom profile fields will be displayed on the topic screen and you have to go to the users profile to see the rest?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Profile fields

Post by Brf »

In that custom profile field's config screen, set "Display profile field" to "No" to only display on the profile page.

CaptainB

Post by CaptainB »

When I do that it dosn't get displayed at all.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Are you changing the the setting on the individual field's config?

Setting "Display profile field" to "no" should still show the field on viewprofile, as long as the setting below -- "Hide profile field" -- is not selected.

CaptainB

Post by CaptainB »

Yes I am. I'm doing this:

First I enable the "Display custom profile fields on topic pages" option in the Board Features settings.
Then I go to USERS AND GROUPS --> Custom Profile Fields --> Select the green symbol for my field and then for the option "Display profile field" I select NO.
The setting below, "Visibility option", is set to Display at registration screen (If this option is enabled, the field will be displayed on registration and able to be changed within the user control panel.)

But it still dosn't show anywhere when I select NO to the "Display profile field" option.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That sounds like a bug, unless there is another setting involved that I dont know about...

CaptainB

Post by CaptainB »

Yup. I, at least, can't seem to figure out how to do it. Because if I don't enable the "Display custom profile fields on topic pages" option, none of the custom fields will be shown except in the users profile. Should I report it? Or does it work for you?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I have only one custom field, that is displayed everywhere, so I have never come across this problem.

Go ahead and report it. Be sure to state what all of your custom fields settings are.

CaptainB

Post by CaptainB »

Ok, reported.

CaptainB

Post by CaptainB »

In case anybody else is wondering, I got this answear from the support team:

You will need a MOD or adjust your template to achive this.

So, it isn't a bug. Pretty add that you need a mod for that..

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

It's fairly easy to adjust these in your template, and directions are actually included within the file to assist you.
Edit styles/yourstyle/template/viewtopic_body.html to do it. Form code using the details here.

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.S_PROFILE_FIELD1 -->
			<!-- Use a construct like this to include admin defined profile fields. Replace FIELD1 with the name of your field. -->
			<dd><strong>{postrow.PROFILE_FIELD1_NAME}:</strong> {postrow.PROFILE_FIELD1_VALUE}</dd>
		<!-- ENDIF -->
Hope that helps!
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

damnian

Post by damnian »

Although this isn't a bug, it is definitely something that should have been implemented.

I'm working on a Slick Profile MOD that would add this (and much other) functionality.
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

If it is not a bug, then the description for the Setting on the individual field's edit page:
Edit Profile Field / Display profile field is misleading
The profile field will be shown on topic pages, profiles and the memberlist if this is enabled within the load settings. Only showing within the users profile is enabled by default. Yes/No
It implies that setting it to "yes" will show it in all those places, and that setting it to "no" would only show it in the default place, which is the user's profile. It does not show in the user's profile when the setting is "no", so the description is wrong.

I think what the description author intended to say is that setting this to "yes" allows the field to show in all places allowed by the Load Settings. Setting it to "no" will hide the field completely.

damnian

Post by damnian »

I agree with the description being somewhat misleading. Setting visibility to "no" won't "hide the field completely". The field would still be visible in the UCP profile (ucp.php?i=profile), not in the viewable profile (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile).

This should probably be brought to the devs' attention.

damnian

Post by damnian »

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”