BLOB in database on RC3 installation

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
yots

BLOB in database on RC3 installation

Post by yots » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 pm

RC3 just installed, not converted, upgraded or anything... on some fields in the mysql database (in some table like profile_fields or users) I've these entries like [BLOB - 11 B] [BLOB - 0 B] etc
I don't know exactly what BLOB is, but... Is that normal?

I've a board installed as RC1, upgraded to RC2 and then RC3 that have none of this BLOB (with varchar fields instead of blobs)
but when I've tried a new install of RC3 i get some BLOB in the mysql database, I've tried three times a fresh RC3 installation (once in the same server/database as the RC1->RC3 one) and I always got these...

the BLOBed board seems fine except that custom field won't appear in the viewtopic (i don't know if there is something else wrong... I don't even know if this custom field is related, I noticed the blob just because I was trying to understand why on a board the custom profile field worked and on the other one not... the only difference I found was this blob thing)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: BLOB in database on RC3 installation

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:11 pm

A blob is a binary data type. They're used quite a bit in phpBB3.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

yots

Post by yots » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm

iWisdom wrote:A blob is a binary data type. They're used quite a bit in phpBB3.
so why all my databases are different? is normal?
One thing i forgot is that in the three times I tried installing RC3, not all the same fields got BLOBed (and in the RC1 -> RC2 -> RC3 i have none of them... at least in the profile_fields and users tables)

and if blob is not a problem, why custom fields on RC3 installation won't show in viewtopic (while in the RC3 upgraded from RC1 I have no problem)?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 pm

yots wrote:
iWisdom wrote:A blob is a binary data type. They're used quite a bit in phpBB3.
so why all my databases are different? is normal?
One thing i forgot is that in the three times I tried installing RC3, not all the same fields got BLOBed (and in the RC1 -> RC2 -> RC3 i have none of them... at least in the profile_fields and users tables)
All they are using the same DBMS?

and if blob is not a problem, why custom fields on RC3 installation won't show in viewtopic (while in the RC3 upgraded from RC1 I have no problem)?
That means you have it configured incorrectly.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

yots

Post by yots » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:09 pm

iWisdom wrote:All they are using the same DBMS?
All of them are on mysql 4

right now i have installed:
- a rc1->rc3
- a fresh RC3 on the same server as the previous one, with blobs
- a fresh RC3 on a different server with a lot more blob than the second one

I had another one fresh installation but was deleted so i can't compare right now and I don't think you'll trust my memory on what was blob'd and what not :|

iWisdom wrote:That means you have it configured incorrectly.
I've added the field from the ACP just after the installation, the field show up in the profile but not in viewtopic, i checked the template file and everything seems ok
I've also tried many times on other installation and still nothing... no problem on my rc1->rc3 where I plaied a lot with custom profile fields in the last month

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:12 am

It doesn't really matter whether Blobs or standard text fields are used.

It requires very much data processing to turn a blob into a standard text fields or vice versa. That is why the point release upgrades will not do it. There is a slight performance boost to using blobs instead of standard text, but there is a slight tax when inserting or updating data.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”