How to compare passwords?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Schelm

How to compare passwords?

Post by Schelm » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Good evening.

Maybe my question has already been asked before, but I couldn't find any information about it. I want to set up a website where you have to register yourself. That is to say, that the user has to register with the board (phpBB3) at first. Later you have to enter your data from the forums into a form and to submit these information to my website script. (Website and forums are on the same server...)

I want to check, if a user has a forum account, and then he can get a website account. But to check if he has a forum account I need to ask for the login data. I heard that phpBB3 uses md5 again to encrypt the passwords. But if I use md5 to encrypt the user given password there is another md5-hash than the one in the phpBB3-user-table.

How is the password of phpBB3 encrypted or what is wrong with my way to check, if a user has already a forum account?

Can someone help me? I want to fix that bug in my website as fast as possible but I do not have any more ideas.

Regards, Schelm

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: How to compare passwords?

Post by david63 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:47 pm

phpbbb usees encoding and also strips out non standard characters before a password is md5 hashed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Schelm

Post by Schelm » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Thank you.

Can you tell me, where I can find those functions?
I tried something with utf_tools, but that didn't work. Some files are missing and I can't include them by any reason I don't understand.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Look at /includes/auth/auth_db.php to find out exactly how phpBB takes the user-entered password and checks it against the one in the database.

I was pretty sure that utf_tools.php was the only file you really needed to get to manage encodings :|
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”