Updating to RC4?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
hsiehstanley83

Updating to RC4?

Post by hsiehstanley83 »

I've been updating to a newer version of phpbb everytime there is a new version.
From phpbb2 to phpbb3 RC1 to RC2 to RC3
And now,
I'm still thinking whether I should update to RC4 since the gold version is nearly comming out and I'm sick of updating my website every month.

any ideas?
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Updating to RC4?

Post by Phil »

That's part of pre-release software. I'd recommend you upgrade as it fixes numerous bugs and provides a few speed enhancements.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Andrew Clarkson

Post by Andrew Clarkson »

I updated to RC4 successfully, I thought, however, when I've gone back into the admin, it says I'm still running RC3, and I need to update.

Obviously there was a glitch, would it be okay just to run the update again?
Andrew Clarkson

Titanic Titanic
chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

Andrew Clarkson wrote:I updated to RC4 successfully, I thought, however, when I've gone back into the admin, it says I'm still running RC3, and I need to update.

You may have forgotten to update the database as well as the files.
Andrew Clarkson

chAos wrote:
Andrew Clarkson wrote:I updated to RC4 successfully, I thought, however, when I've gone back into the admin, it says I'm still running RC3, and I need to update.

You may have forgotten to update the database as well as the files.
Well I chose the automated process, and the db part of it seemed to work correctly with no errors.
Andrew Clarkson

Titanic Titanic
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

I found the best way to make sure everything gets done, is to run the 'check files' again when you get to the end of the upgrade. It will give you a list of all the files it's successfull updated and list any other problems at the bottom.

I had the same problem you have - installed it all and it still said I was running RC3.
I found that after running check files again, there was an issue with memberlist_view.html (prosilver) - I had changes the original file and the updater noticed this. It didn't seem to want to let me keep the old modified file, so I overwrote with the new one and all is well now :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Andrew Clarkson

Ran update again, nothing appeared to get changed, wasn't prompted for the new files, got a 'green' in the update process, and now in the admin too! :D
Andrew Clarkson

Titanic Titanic
datkeoniguy

Post by datkeoniguy »

With RC2 and RC3 I just uploaded the changed files and updated the db and it worked fine. With RC4 I decided to try the auto update method using the FTP method. So I entered all the proper data for FTP in the ftp form and clicked check connection. It kept telling me it could not change to the proper directory so after a while I just gave up, clicked "Back" and used the other method. That worked fine with no errors. Personally I think just uploading the changed files is easier but maybe that's becasue I couldn't get the ftp method to work. I don't know why, I tried everything I could think of -no luck. I suppose the auto method does have the advantage of providing copies of the original files.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

datkeoniguy wrote:With RC2 and RC3 I just uploaded the changed files and updated the db and it worked fine. With RC4 I decided to try the auto update method using the FTP method. So I entered all the proper data for FTP in the ftp form and clicked check connection. It kept telling me it could not change to the proper directory so after a while I just gave up, clicked "Back" and used the other method. That worked fine with no errors. Personally I think just uploading the changed files is easier but maybe that's becasue I couldn't get the ftp method to work. I don't know why, I tried everything I could think of -no luck. I suppose the auto method does have the advantage of providing copies of the original files.

the auto updater is designed for modified board as it allows you to merge updated code into any already modified forum files, so you can update without breaking installed mods :)
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Andrew Clarkson wrote:Ran update again, nothing appeared to get changed, wasn't prompted for the new files, got a 'green' in the update process, and now in the admin too! :D
GLad you got it sorted 8-)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Andrew Clarkson

cherokee red wrote:
Andrew Clarkson wrote:Ran update again, nothing appeared to get changed, wasn't prompted for the new files, got a 'green' in the update process, and now in the admin too! :D
GLad you got it sorted 8-)
Not as glad as I am 8-)
Andrew Clarkson

Titanic Titanic
Stitch625

Post by Stitch625 »

karlsemple wrote:
datkeoniguy wrote:With RC2 and RC3 I just uploaded the changed files and updated the db and it worked fine. With RC4 I decided to try the auto update method using the FTP method. So I entered all the proper data for FTP in the ftp form and clicked check connection. It kept telling me it could not change to the proper directory so after a while I just gave up, clicked "Back" and used the other method. That worked fine with no errors. Personally I think just uploading the changed files is easier but maybe that's becasue I couldn't get the ftp method to work. I don't know why, I tried everything I could think of -no luck. I suppose the auto method does have the advantage of providing copies of the original files.

the auto updater is designed for modified board as it allows you to merge updated code into any already modified forum files, so you can update without breaking installed mods :)
There are still a few bugs in that auto updater because it did break a couple of my mods. Totally removed the code.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”