White pages on conversion

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jmryanuk

White pages on conversion

Post by jmryanuk »

Your board's URL: www.ambulance999.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.RC4
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Conversion
Was this an install through your host? Install with FTP
MODs you have installed: none
When the problem started: straight away
Template(s) used: default
Version of PHP used: 4.3.10
Database and version used: MySQL 3.23.56

Hi Folks!

When running the conversion from phpBB2 (latest at time 01/08/2007) - to phpBB2 RC4 (also tried RC3) I get a white page on the conversion and the conversion does not complete.

Firsty I have checked the DOC/INSTALL file and this is what is says:
The conversion is a load-heavy procedure. Restrictions imposed by some server hosting providers can cause problems. The most common causes are: too low values for the php settings memory_limit and max_execution_time. Limits on the allowed CPU time are also a frequent cause for such errors, as are caps on the number of database queries allowed. If you cannot change such settings, then contact your hosting provider or run the conversion procedure on a different computer. The phpBB.com forums are also an excellent location to ask for support.
Ok.... I sent this to my hosting provider and they state:
We have attempted to change the max_execution_time and max_memory on the server to higher that what is set but this makes no difference. The page should not be going blank there seems to be another problem with this.

I suggest you re-upload it and try again, at present the max execution time is set to 30secs but the scripts produces the blank page before the 30secs are up. The max_memory is set at 16MB, I increased this to 32MB but it made no difference.
Ok...

Just to clarify the steps I have taken >>>>

1. I installed the phpBB3 in the forums directory next to phpBB2, applied CHMOD to approriate folders.
2. once installed I ran the conversion, put in the correct database info for the current database, changed the folder destination for previous version of phpBB2 and it all seems happy until I hit new conversion/continue previously started conversion, this is when I get the white page.

My database size on phpBB2 is just under 136mb with around 3440 users plus.

Any help please...

James
will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Re: White pages on conversion

Post by will_hough »

your host wrote:I suggest you re-upload it and try again
I would definitely make sure all your files uploaded correctly. Get a fresh unzip and upload again, there may have been a file uploaded incorrectly.

I've had this happen a few times.
jmryanuk

Post by jmryanuk »

I have now deleted old uploads, uploaded new unzipped phpBB3 folder and reinstalled three times, I have CHMOD the directories and config file as previously stated and have checked I have uploaded all the files in the correct format as I uploaded one directory at a time.

I still get the white page. :?:
dark/Rain

Post by dark/Rain »

Maybe there's something in the error log(s)...
NoDeity
Name: Brad Reddekopp

Post by NoDeity »

I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying to convert from the latest phpBB2 to rc5. My hosting provider tells me that the maximum script execution time is 30 seconds. However, the white page appears before 30 seconds is up.

The memory limit is 8 M. Should that be enough?

I deleted and re-installed rc5. I very carefully made sure that everything was uploaded correctly before starting the installation. I tried again, following the installation and conversion instructions carefully. Same thing: white screen before 30 seconds were up.

I have more than enough server space available in my hosting account. The php and MySQL versions installed on the server exceed the minimum requirements described in INSTALL.html

Someone mentioned WAMP so I'm now downloading it. I've got no experience with it but I've got to try something...

Edit: The support person from my hosting provider is going to try to do it for me. I'll post the results of that.
NoDeity

Post by NoDeity »

The support guys at my hosting provider figured out the problem I was having, they fixed it, and I was able to do the conversion successfully. Here's what they told me about it:
A timeout value was set for apache to avoid scripts running more than 20 seconds. Since the conversion required a couple of minutes, apache wasn't allowing the script to run. However I have removed the settings now. Please check it out now.
jmryanuk

Post by jmryanuk »

Who is your hosting provider? is it based in the USA?

I am hosting with webfusion in the UK and they said that they would not increase the execution time to more than 30 seconds.
NoDeity

Post by NoDeity »

It's CyberUltra. I'm actually not sure where their servers are physically located.

If that gets designated as spam and deleted, PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”