The auto login seems to work as long as the member:
- accepts cookies for the forum
- selects "Log me on automatically each visit"
- doesn't click on "Logout [Member_ID]", just closes the browser
If the member clicks on "Logout [Member_ID]", the password is presumably removed from the cookie and auto login will not work.
Here are the settings that I've tried:
- Cookie domain: bb.mydomain.com
- Cookie name: bb forum (also tried bbforum, bb_forum, and blank)
- Cookie path: /
- Cookie secure: Disabled
The actual cookie name on the member's PC is "bb.mydomain", regardless what name the cookie had in the ACP. Even in the case of leaving the cookie name blank, the name of the cookie was "bb.mydomain". Refreshing the forum, deleting the member's cookie, and accepting the cookie again made no difference in the cookie name; the cookie name seems to be taken from the domain name around the first dot.
- Force server URL settings: No (also tried "Yes" with no noticeable difference)
These settings had been tested with RC3, RC4, and IE 7.0; I couldn't get Firefox to login automatically