High server load

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ab9db

High server load

Post by ab9db »

Hello,

My hosts have told that there is a high server load through viewposts.php and viewtopic.php. We have 2000 members which strikes me as an average amount but the hosts are saying the server load is high. I am wondering whether it's bots etc putting a load on a server.

The activated bots in phpBB, do they stop the bots searching or allow them to search? - Could that realistically be the problem?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: High server load

Post by david63 »

I would be inclined to think that this a problem with your host. If this was a general issue then there would have been more complaints about it. I would suspect that you are on a server with a high contention rate (dare I suggest that this is either free hosting or cheap hosting?)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ab9db

Post by ab9db »

webhostingbuzz.com

I am not using a 20th of of bandwidth available, it was reported that large spikes in usage were the issue which sounds strange. What could that large spike? Bots?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Bandwidth is nothing to do with this problem. The problem is with how many users are on the mysql server. If, for example, you have a server that has 25 users they will have more resources than if the server has 75 users and one way that some hosts keep their costs down is to have a higher number of users per server.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ab9db

Post by ab9db »

but my forum only has typically 40 people on the forum, that isn't really that much is it?

could the bots be using the connections? - the reports indicate a high spike load rather than a normal server load from normal use.

TouchingVirus

Post by TouchingVirus »

ab9db wrote:but my forum only has typically 40 people on the forum, that isn't really that much is it?

could the bots be using the connections? - the reports indicate a high spike load rather than a normal server load from normal use.
Yes. Our societies old server crumbled when Google took it apart with over 600 spiders :P

ab9db

Post by ab9db »

Can I stop the bots accessing the forums?

TouchingVirus

Post by TouchingVirus »

ab9db wrote:Can I stop the bots accessing the forums?
Use a robots.txt file to stop spiders :)

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/faq.html#prevent

Code: Select all

User-agent: *
Disallow: 
:)

ab9db

Post by ab9db »

Okay, presumably I want bots from search engines on the rest for my website though to index it?

My forum also is 2nd for Arsenal forum, I want to keep that listed. Anyway to stop the spider searching beyond the index page of the forum only?

TouchingVirus

Post by TouchingVirus »

You could try:

Disallow: /viewforum.php, /viewtopic.php etc etc

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”