moderator group cant stick/unstick

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
CosmicD

moderator group cant stick/unstick

Post by CosmicD » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:39 pm

my moderators say they can't stick/unstick a post... where do I have to see this permission for the group ?

I don't see a permission that says 'can use post type" or something like this... am I overlooking something ?

thx

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: moderator group cant stick/unstick

Post by KevC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:01 pm

That's in group forum permissions

Under the post tab is 'Can post stickies'
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

David...

Post by David... » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 pm

I don't see the option (as admin) to stick or unstick another's post. What am I missing? Is it not in the edit post interface?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Like I said, it's in the permissions.
Attachments
sticky.jpg
sticky.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

David...

Post by David... » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:07 am

Thanks - I didn't realize the Admin didn't have full Global Mod permissions. :oops:

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP » Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 am

Kevin Clark wrote:That's in group forum permissions

Under the post tab is 'Can post stickies'
I'm having the same problem. I went in groups' forum permissions, but the usergroups are administrators, global moderators and registered users (and a few more, but not standard moderators). How can I let the standard moderators on every forum to stick and unstick topics? By simple logic, I went to Permissions>Forum based permissions>Forum moderators, chose the forum and then the moderator, went to Edit Permissions, in which he had the "Standard moderator" permissions and there wasn't the option to post stickies. Shouldn't it be there? It's one of the basic things moderators should be allowed to do, even if you don't agree, I don't get why it's not in the option list (even deselected).

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 24, 2008 11:23 am

DragonlordP wrote:By simple logic, I went to Permissions>Forum based permissions>Forum moderators
That's setting a moderation action such as being able to delete or edit posts.

Being able to stickie isn't a moderation action. It's more of a 'feature' and it's forum based not mod based.

Look in the group forum permissions.
Cheap UK Hosting

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP » Sat May 24, 2008 11:35 am

Could you please tell me where in the groups forum permissions? As I said, the usergroups I have are administrators, global moderators and registered users. No standard moderators. Should I edit the permissions of global moderators?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Groups forum permissions
global mods (or whatever group you want to be able to do it)
select the forum you want them to be able to sticky in.

Full access will give them the ability to sticky or you can look in the advanced permissions in the post tab.
Cheap UK Hosting

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP » Sat May 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks. Thing is, I don't want to change the permissions of global mods, and I don't have a moderators usergroup. When I add a moderator to a forum, I give them "Standard Moderator" permissions and that's it. How can I give to them the ability to stick/unstick topics? They are not in a usergroup.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 pm

It's much easier to keep track of who can do what if you use usergroups. If they're in the group, they have those abilities.

However, if you want to assign sticky permissions to one user

permissions
forum permissions
select the forum
enter their name in the bottom left box and click the 'add permissions' button.
Full access will give them sticky ability or you can go advanced and select what you want them to do.
Cheap UK Hosting

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP » Sat May 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks, although I really find this odd. This way, if someone wants forum moderators to be able to post stickies, he has to both add them as moderators and then go and edit each one's permissions on that particular forum. It would be much easier if the ability to post stickies appeared as an option in the forum moderators permissions.
I could use usergroups, as you said, but then I'd have to have one usergroup for every forum, and my site has around 20 forums. It would be much easier if I could just have more flexibility on what a moderator can do.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Being able to do sticky posts isn't a moderator ability. It's a forum ability.
Mod things are to do with moderation. ie control of post content and location (edit, delete, move, split). Being able to sticky is something you can control on a per forum basis. By doing it like that you can split up the ability of people to control what's going on with those who have a slightly more important role of controlling how things are displayed.

I'll admit some of the permission stuff is a little complicated and perhaps overly so in some places but it's all to do with variety and customisation of what you want to do. However, the basic presets that are available cover the majority of what users will need. It's just a question of getting your head around the difference between forum permissions and group/user permissions.

Brf wrote a KB article if you want to read more
Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions
Cheap UK Hosting

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP » Sat May 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Cool, that's all understood, but still, I can't see me wanting to allow someone who is not a moderator to stick and unstick topics, and anyway, this option could still be in both places, with the one in the moderator's permissions overriding the user permissions to avoid conflict. The logic behind it is all good, but at the end of the day it's all about making the work of an admin easier, and I think what I'm proposing would be a small step in that direction. Except me, the topic starter was also confused by this, I'm sure others have been as well. I don't think it's that rare - IMO, when you have a large site it's difficult to watch over all forums, so it's helpful to have moderators that can administrate their forums sufficiently. I think that posting a sticky topic now and then, with rules or guidelines for example, can be part of the moderator's work.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 24, 2008 3:20 pm

DragonlordP wrote:I can't see me wanting to allow someone who is not a moderator to stick and unstick topics
I actually use it on a board I run :)

We have a section for some racing leagues where I need to let people stick and unstick upcoming race schedules etc but they do not need to be mods of the forum.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”