Can't seem to stay logged in

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
letmeinforgodsake

Re: Can't seem to stay logged in

Post by letmeinforgodsake »

After you change it, you should log out, delete cookes from your PC, or/and temp files

dallasld

Post by dallasld »

Ok, here is what I have done so far.

I verified Allow persistent logins was set to yes, Session length is set to 3600. I also changed my cookie settings to mydomain.com.

After making all these changes I logged out, used the delete board cookies link, and cleared my browser cookies and cache.

I log back in and I am still having problems staying logged in. i.e. I will log in to the board and then go to the ACP. I will only get a couple of clicks in to what I am working on and it will ask me to re-authenticate. I complete the re-authentication and am left at the redirect screen back to the ACP. If I click 'Proceed to ACP' it will kick me back to the re-authenticate page. If I let it refresh automatically it will take my back to the ACP, but I usually only get a couple of click into what I am working on before I am sent back to the re-authentication page.

I was having these same issues with a Fantastico installed version of 2.2, but I thought installing v3 would fix the problem, but I guess the issue must be somewhere in my settings.

My board is here: http://www.coastalparentsofmultiples.org/phpbb, it is a clean RC5 install with no MODs.

Everyone's help up to this point is appreciated.

Cheers.

letmeinforgodsake

Do you already have a phpbb forum running on mydomain.com ?

If you change the cookie name, its still writing to the same cookie as the other forums on mydomain.com

I have about 4 forums on mydomain.com and they all have a cookie name that are not the same, seams to work ok, if I left the cookie name as default each time, I would have a lot of problems

forum1
cookie name 1234

forum2
cooke name 4567

Both on mydomain.com

Working

forum1
cookie name 1234

forum2
cooke name 1234

Not working right

Now this V3, I also have a login problem, I have the admin panel in one window, and the forum in another window (Cant see any Preview forum) so while im switching back and forth it kicks me out, sometimes while im in the forum it asks me to log back in, sometimes while in the admin it says I dont have access (As im loged out)

So I have a problem, but thinks its the way Im switching

I remember coming here once and the "Remember me" was not working, session cookies was working and I could get around ok, but as soon as I closed the browser and opend another I had to log in again.

I think at the time the cookies on my pc were curupt, that or the default cookie name was conflicking with a cookie name I had. So I deleted all cookies on my pc (Manually) and all was ok

When you delete cookies, I wouldnt use the browser to do it, find them on your PC and manually delete them, along with the tem files, with no browser loaded :)

One other thing, if your domain is http://www.mydomain.com when you long out of the forum, do you have http://www.mydomain.com still in the browser url or is it going to http://mydomain.com ?

If your domain setting is wrong, this can also mess up the cookie name and cookie domain

I have used Fantastico, but never liked anything automatic as things go wrong :) always best to FTP the lattest from here, and manually install it.

BTW V3 RC5 is NOT the latest phpbb, its not yet fully released, so you should be installing phpbb 2.0.22 :)
That said, then as you maybe new to phpbb its probably best to install RC5 then update it when its finished, as its NOTHING like V2X :)

Let me see if I can use you board

letmeinforgodsake

Update

Ok, registerd with your board, and its working fine, stayed logged in at all times, closed all browsers, went back and still logged in.

So it has to be you :)

You have cookes and domains that are the same, or your cookies are still messed up

1, Server settings > Domain name > coastalparentsofmultiples.org (No www)
2, Cookie Settings > coastalparentsofmultiples.org (No www)
3, Cookie Name > name you have never used before (Dont use the default)

In my old forum I have the www in the Server settings > Domain name but the cookie domain is without the www

All these things are dependent on your server, shared, dedicated, virtual, they all seam to have different settings :) I have a dedicated server now, and there is less problems like this

Just try the different settings from above, clear your PC each time (manually) im sure you will find the right setting, I do know there is nothing wrong with your board, as I didnt have your problems

Oh and always add the /index.php at the end
http://www.coastalparentsofmultiples.or ... /index.php

Kingmarine1

Post by Kingmarine1 »

We were having this same issue and I did resolve it. The cookie settings we are currently running are:

Cookie Domain (leave blank)
Cookie name (leave blank)
Cookie Path /

That solved our login issues of having to login everytime we came back to the site. Hope this helps.

uniteam

Post by uniteam »

Thanks guys !!

I had the same problem when I changed hosting provider for Third ocassion.. it so weird because I used the default cookie name without problems until now.

it Solved changing the default cookie name !

Thanks

tvon

Post by tvon »

I've tried all the above solutions. I've verified my settings are correct. I'm running RC7 that was converted from 2.x.x. Any ideas? im' stuck here!

t-p

Post by t-p »

hi,

this what seems to be working for me:
Cookie Domain (mysite.org); changed it from (.mysite.org): removed . from infront of ".mysite.org"
Cookie name (default)
Cookie Path /; changed it from (/phpBB3)

hope it helps.

--tp

tvon

Post by tvon »

t-p: thanks, but those settings dont work for me. I've literally tried everything. This is very frustrating :evil:

also, i'm looking at my cookies from my site, and im only getting one cookie set.. its a "style" cookie. So for some reason phpbb isnt setting cookies. Many of my users (and various browsers) are doing this so it must be something with my configuration.

jandre

Post by jandre »

I have same problem.
Settings is here:

Cookie settings:
Cookie - Blank and Disabled

Server settings:
Server protocol - http://
Domain name - http://www.rs24.ee
Script path - /

Load settings:
Session length - 3600

HELP PLEASE

tvon

Post by tvon »

jandre - are your cookies from your site showing up in your browser under another name? thats whats happening to me. Its as if my cookies settings page in the ACP does nothing.

tvon

Post by tvon »

bump.. anyone?

tvon

Post by tvon »

gunna bump this again, sorry guys.

d1VaKa

Post by d1VaKa »

Lol ppl i've got only one question - from where to delete the board cookies ?
Just do what Crunchie said:

Modify your Server Settings -> Domain Name to the current one.
Modify your Cookie Settings -> Cookie domain to the same as Domain name

Once done, "Delete all board cookies".

And are the domain name and cookie domain same

tvon

Post by tvon »

i can confirm both are the same, followed that procedure several times.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”