RC7: no email when a reply is posted

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
t-p

RC7: no email when a reply is posted

Post by t-p »

hi,
I am evaluating RC7 (Upgraded from RC5), Prosilver.
I can post reply to a topic. But I do not get email when a reply is posted, even though the Box "Notify me when a reply is posted" is checked. Had no such problem in RC5. Please help.

--tp
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: RC7: no email when a reply is posted

Post by Phil »

Is there anything in the phpBB or PHP error log?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
t-p

Post by t-p »

Thanks iWisdom for your response.
iWisdom wrote:Is there anything in the phpBB or PHP error log?
phpBB error log: No, I don't see anything in the phpBB Error log.
my server error log: [Wed Oct 17 12:45:30 2007] [error] [client 66.234.252.94] File does not exist: /home/virtual/XXXXX/fst/var/www/html/favicon.ico

Thanks for your patient and help.

--tp
t-p

Post by t-p »

HI iWisdom,

I did some experimenting and this is what I found.
(1) If the topic is created by the admin (that is me), and the reply to that topic is also posted by the admin, then there is no email sent to the admin's email upon posting of the reply by the admin to the topic created by the admin. This was the reason I was not receiving any email when a reply was posted. Because the topic was created by me (admin) and reply was also posted by me (admin).
(2) However, if the reply is posted by any other user (who did not initiate the topic he/she is replying to), then email is sent to the admin upon posting of the reply.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

-tp
mattgid

Post by mattgid »

@ t-p: (1) is partly right. it doesnt happen to the admin only but everyone else. You wont get a notification if you reply to your own topic ;)

as for (2), I don't quite understand it :oops: No emails should be sent to the admin when a topic has received a reply unless you have modified your board to have that function. :?
✖✖_Matthew Gideon_✖✖
t-p

Post by t-p »

Thanks mattgid for the response and help,
mattgid wrote:as for (2), I don't quite understand it :oops: No emails should be sent to the admin when a topic has received a reply unless you have modified your board to have that function.
I agree that no emails should be sent to the admin when a topic has received a reply. BUT how if the topic was initiated by the admin and the admin had checked the box: "Notify me when a reply is posted"?

Another findings I wanted to post here was that the email I received was only when I used IE, no emai was received while using FF.

--tp
mattgid

Post by mattgid »

For my case, sometimes it takes a few hours for me to receive the email. So it seems like no email has been received but there is. I've been using FF. No such problems had arose for me. :?

All I know that whatever this problem is,it's got nothing to do if a user is an admin or a normal user. :oops:
✖✖_Matthew Gideon_✖✖
t-p

Post by t-p »

Thanks again,

My specific question was: if the topic was initiated by the admin and the admin had checked the box: "Notify me when a reply is posted", is he supposed to get an email when a reply is posted by somebosy?

--tp
mattgid

Post by mattgid »

yes, the admin is supposed to receive a reply. ;)
✖✖_Matthew Gideon_✖✖
t-p

Post by t-p »

Hi,

This was my question:
t-p wrote:My specific question was: if the topic was initiated by the admin and the admin had checked the box: "Notify me when a reply is posted", is he supposed to get an email when a reply is posted by somebosy?
You replied:
mattgid wrote:yes, the admin is supposed to receive a reply.
But my problem is that the admin does not receive a reply! Why not? How to resolve this issue? Do you know? Anybody? Is this a bug in RC7?

-tp
t-p

Post by t-p »

Hi everybody,

I have been testing this feature for at least two days now. What I found out is that sometime I receive the email as soon as when a reply is posted (admin and other registered users). however, at other times I do nobody receives any reply even if I wait for two days!! This is really bizarre! Is there a bug in this context in the RC7? Any help? Anybody?

EDIT: I believe that it all works, but the email delivery seems to be kind of slow in this new RC7.

-tp
mattgid

Post by mattgid »

perhaps check your board preference in UCP?
✖✖_Matthew Gideon_✖✖

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”