MySQL server has gone away [2006]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 pm

My site is surfable but whenever someone tries to post or register - as of this morning - the following error comes up:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

SQL

SELECT bbcode_id, bbcode_tag, bbcode_helpline FROM phpbb_bbcodes WHERE display_on_posting = 1 ORDER BY bbcode_tag

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 143
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_display.php
LINE: 820
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 1339
CALL: display_custom_bbcodes()

Spoke with tech support at the host and they say everything is fine with the server.

Thoughts?

DudeWoofie

Re: MySQL server has gone away [2006]

Post by DudeWoofie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Yikes! Now it's even worse!

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

SQL

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '45ddf72ed80168669e3f423f4f1861e7' WHERE config_name = 'rand_seed'

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 143
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions.php
LINE: 147
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: includes/functions.php
LINE: 192
CALL: set_config()

FILE: includes/message_parser.php
LINE: 1021
CALL: unique_id()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 1061
CALL: parse_message->parse_message()

DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:25 am

Stumped everybody, eh?

Imichimera

Post by Imichimera » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 am

If you are hosting with Godaddy, then change over to just MySQL (no "i" extensions on the shared hosts)
That may not help you're problem though.

If I remember right... this particular error means that the mysql server is on, but set to point your request to another server (something like that *scratches head*), Or hell it may just be in stand by :roll: .
Another thing you may want to think about is that the server is restarting during your connection.

Sorry if I'm not much help, its been a long time since I messed with MySQL errors of that type
Gamezftw.com
We Are Games!

DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks, Imichimera, but Bluehost, not GoDaddy.

I restored a backup from 11/28 and everything seems to be copacetic -- knock wood -- ... although now I don't understand why peeps that registered after 11/28 are still registered.

Imichimera

Post by Imichimera » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:28 am

DudeWoofie wrote:Thanks, Imichimera, but Bluehost, not GoDaddy.

I restored a backup from 11/28 and everything seems to be copacetic -- knock wood -- ... although now I don't understand why peeps that registered after 11/28 are still registered.
If the database does only partial updates, then the restore would only affect the part that may be bad.
Of course that also depends on what their MySQL server is running.

Glad to be of help.
Gamezftw.com
We Are Games!

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:33 am

DudeWoofie wrote:My site is surfable but whenever someone tries to post or register - as of this morning - the following error comes up:
Firstly, since this started all of a sudden and is a server error, it is reasonable to assume that it is a problem with the database. The error itself means that the query is timing out while being run. It can be "fixed" by increasing the timeout values for MySQL.

If you have made any changes to your phpBB installation (such as installing modifications), then that may be the problem. If not, I suggest you contact your host again and have them take a closer look.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:The error itself means that the query is timing out while being run. It can be "fixed" by increasing the timeout values for MySQL.
Would someone mind telling me where I would do that?

Imichimera

Post by Imichimera » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:57 pm

You can fix this via you're php.ini file or the configuration on the server itself.

In the php.ini file you'll want to look for the settings just under the following line:

Code: Select all

[MySQL]

The thing to change would be this line:

Code: Select all

; Maximum time (in seconds) for connect timeout. -1 means no limit
mysql.connect_timeout = 60
You change the settings how ever you see fit. I would not recommend anything over 3 minutes max. (I really wouldn't recommend 3 minutes either)
Gamezftw.com
We Are Games!

ayudame

Post by ayudame » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Same problem here...

New fresh install of rc8 running at Bluehost.com

MySQL version 5.0.37-standard-log
PHP version 5.1.6

The installation went OK and I set up a few fourms and a few users but couldn't post my first thread. It would fail either using submit or preview.

My installation was breaking at line 1339 display_custom_bbcodes() in posting.php.
When I commented out that line...it just broke somewhere else later on.

During an early morning call to BH support they mentioned that they have recently upgraded php to 5.1.6 and the tech asked if I was sure this version of PhpBB was all-right running under this version.

Could this actually be an incompatibility with this version of PHP?

Steve

DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:34 pm

I am getting to the firm belief that there is a distinct possibility of a Bluehost/phpBB conflict. I sent in a ticket Saturday night-- here is the response I received from Bluehost support yesterday morning:

I have ran a check and repair on the database that is having the issue. Let me know if that helps in the issue that you are having.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

To which I replied (with props to Marshalrusty):

In my Google travels I ran across this possible explanation--

Firstly, since this started all of a sudden and is a server error, it is reasonable to assume that it is a problem with the database. The error itself means that the query is timing out while being run. It can be "fixed" by increasing the timeout values for MySQL.

If you have made any changes to your phpBB installation (such as installing modifications), then that may be the problem. If not, I suggest you contact your host again and have them take a closer look.

Seems to make sense, doesn't it? I have made no changes to my initial installation.

The response from Bluehost yesterday:

It does make sense on the issue being reported but there is another issue on that. I cannot change the timeout on the mysql server. These changes are made on the entire server and will effect everyone on the server. At this time we have been instructed by our admin that this is a change that we cannot make for you at this time.

Now here's the part that's tweaking me out-- When I restore a backup everything works fine... for a while. This morning my board has been running smooth as silk - multiple members successfully posting, no hangups - and then POOF! Back to MySQL server has gone away. I have done absolutely nothing to cause this.

So back to my original statement re. Bluehost/phpBB.

Is it considered bad form to ask this board which webhosts are performing well? I honestly am to the point where the only solution I see is to move my site to another server.

For the record I am running RC7 on PHP version 5.1.6 with MySQL version 5.0.37-standard-log as well. Also for the record, I was up and running just fine with Bluehost for 2 months before this just became an issue last week.

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I am exactly in the same situation: (HostMonster, but it is a division of BlueHost, they share the datacenter I suppose). From August, with phpBBRC5: no problem at all...

From 4-5 days, I repeatedly have users complaining of MySQL server has gone away [2006] errors, mainly when posting/replying to posts. It seems it occurs more often when an error log has to be written to the DB (to be visible in the Maintenance tab of the Admin, Error Log), for instance if the mail() function fails.

Is it possible that the problem occurs mainly when several DB accesses occur in the same user action ?
Last edited by Mickey14 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DudeWoofie

Post by DudeWoofie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Mickey14 wrote:From 4-5 days, I repeatedly users complaining of MySQL server has gone away [2006] errors, mainly when posting/replying to posts
Yes, exactly! Everything is hunky-dory except for posting on my board. And it just became a problem Saturday morning for me. It's gotta be the host, doesn't it?

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Unfortunately, things like this happen way too often. Someone makes a configuration change and things start breaking. The level one tech support guys wouldn't know a server if they were staring at it.

If the problem doesn't go away and the host isn't willing to look into it, I suggest you vote with your feet and move to a different host. For others' opinions, I suggest checking out http://www.webhostingtalk.com
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 am

:lol: I chose hostmonster because it is recommended everywhere here by phpBB team...

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”