Invalid Form and Registration Issues.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre

Invalid Form and Registration Issues.

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:27 am

I've seen a few posts regarding this and had the same problem myself but its now fixed so I'll post it as to what was wrong in my case, might help someone else. Anyhow for whatever reason I had the "Maximum time to submit forms:" under security settings set to -1 to disable it, I may even have changed this before to try and fix another issue. Changing it to the default 7200 and both of these problems went away.

Hope that helps someone and I submitted a bug report. Possibly a server setting on my part but I really have no idea.
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Re: Invalid Form and Registration Issues.

Postby inayan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:44 am

All I can say is THANKS. Worked for me!
inayan

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Can someone try this on their own server to see if they can reproduce this. I'm trying to determine if it's my server settings. Go into security settings and change the "Maximum time to submit forms:" to -1 logout and see if you can register an account, if you succeed the first time try it again.
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Postby karlsemple » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:12 pm

thecoalman wrote:Can someone try this on their own server to see if they can reproduce this. I'm trying to determine if it's my server settings. Go into security settings and change the "Maximum time to submit forms:" to -1 logout and see if you can register an account, if you succeed the first time try it again.

I just installed a completely fresh RC8 just for you so I could test to make sure we were not missing something, and setting the value to -1 does nothing to stop registration on my live forum or the fresh test install board :)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Postby inayan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:15 pm

I just wanted to add that I had no problems with registration until I did the latest upgrade (RC8). Automatic update package.

So far with the fix you gave here - everything seems to be working smoothly. I am curious what happened or why it happened though.
inayan

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Well i tried it on fresh install too and it still won't let me register (I did succeed once), login works though. Once logged in if you reply to a post and wait a while it gives you invalid form error. Setting it back to default of 7200 and it works fine. :?
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Postby karlsemple » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:24 pm

maybe an issue then if taking over 30 seconds? Not sure if I am looking at the right code

Code: Select all
if ($timespan === false)
    {

// we enforce a minimum value of half a minute here.

$timespan max(30$config['form_token_lifetime']);
    }  
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Postby bc2planker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 pm

I have recently solved this issue on my board as well, although differently than what is laid out in this thread.

Read mine here if you want: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=592874&p=3386119#p3386119
bc2planker

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:28 pm

inayan wrote:I just wanted to add that I had no problems with registration until I did the latest upgrade (RC8). Automatic update package.

Well I had some minor registration issues with RC7 but I think that was caused by a mod and it only seemed to affect IE, hence the reason I originally set it to -1 trying to troubleshoot it. Once I upgraded to RC8 I might have 1/10 registration attempts that worked and had almost no registrations from real people in that time frame. I had the invalid form errors too.
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:31 pm

karlsemple wrote:maybe an issue then if taking over 30 seconds? Not sure if I am looking at the right code

Thanks but I'm not really looking for a solution cause it works if you use 7200. Just trying to prevent someone form spending 2 days like me figuring it out. :D

Why don't you try registering on your test forum but make sure to take a minute to do it.
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Postby karlsemple » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:34 pm

thecoalman wrote:
karlsemple wrote:maybe an issue then if taking over 30 seconds? Not sure if I am looking at the right code

Thanks but I'm not really looking for a solution cause it works if you use 7200. Just trying to prevent someone form spending 2 days like me figuring it out. :D

Why don't you try registering on your test forum but make sure to take a minute to do it.

kellanved is already on it :)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:40 pm

You guys type so fast it wasn't working for you. :lol:
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Postby karlsemple » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm

thecoalman wrote:You guys type so fast it wasn't working for you. :lol:

Actually worth noting that the bug is not doing what this topic describes, there is no invalid form error and this is the reason that you guys need to provide as much detail as possible..... maybe mentioned you were getting booted to the start of the registration process and that you were taking over 30 seconds to register would have helped just a little, this is the reason the developers ask people give as much info as possible when reporting an issue even it is appears unimportant ;)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Postby thecoalman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 pm

karlsemple wrote:Actually worth noting that the bug is not doing what this topic describes, there is no invalid form error and this is the reason that you guys need to provide as much detail as possible.....

That is not the case as it will cause both the invalid form error and prevent registration.

maybe mentioned you were getting booted to the start of the registration process and that you were taking over 30 seconds to register would have helped just a little, this is the reason the developers ask people give as much info as possible when reporting an issue even it is appears unimportant ;)

I reported this in bug tracker which I will also note was originally reported as unreproducable and wouldn't have been fixed at this time if I didn't pursue it.
Setting Form limit to -1 breaks forms and registration
Setting the "Maximum time to submit forms:" to -1 to disable it under security settings will produce the "invalid form" error and as far as I can tell completely breaks the registration page.

This is on fresh install of RC8 I'm using for testing purposes. I'm assuming this may be caused by my server setting but I really don't know.

If you need further server details or example forum PM me.

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=16174

I think that is pretty clear and concise, perhaps i could have worded it "produces invalid form error when posting". The only thing that wasn't mentioned was the amount of time that it took to fill out registration but even you guys hadn't consider that yourselves.
thecoalman
Former Team Member

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum