Solution to 500 Internal Server error !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
idea

Solution to 500 Internal Server error !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by idea »

If you keep getting 500 Internal Server Error while trying to convert your old forum to the new phpBB3. There's not much you can do except to keep on trying! That's right! Just press 'BACK' button on your browser and keep on doing it ...I had to try about 50 times before it finally went through. During the process, try not to do anything else with your computer/browser...it might interrupt the process ?!?! ...but yeah..it was frustrated to see the 500 Internal Server Error but eventually it finally worked for me!!!

good luck getting things done...phpBB is the best

Flybye

Re: Solution to 500 Internal Server error !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flybye »

Did it work because maybe in that small time before it timed out, it was actually converting something?

My DB is 17mb. I wonder how many times I will have to go back and fourth, back and fourth.. :P

idea

Post by idea »

my forum has over 30K posts and over 30MB in database size... so if it worked for me, i'll work for you as well ... good luck

Flybye

Post by Flybye »

It worked!!! LOL.

Thx for the tip. :mrgreen:

Snowcone

Post by Snowcone »

idea wrote:my forum has over 30K posts and over 30MB in database size... so if it worked for me, i'll work for you as well ... good luck
My forum has 130k posts. I really don't want to know how long this would take for me.
-cone

Flybye

Post by Flybye »

If your host can't help you, then I'd seriously consider just making a fake web server in a box, and converting it in there. With 130k+posts, I'm sure your forum is quite well worth the effort. Unless someone here comes up with a better solution.

Snowcone

Post by Snowcone »

Flybye wrote:If your host can't help you, then I'd seriously consider just making a fake web server in a box, and converting it in there. With 130k+posts, I'm sure your forum is quite well worth the effort. Unless someone here comes up with a better solution.
I can and will probably end up doing it that way, it's just a pain to HAVE to do it that way.
-cone

Thomas_Cincy

BETTER Solution to 500 Internal Server error !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Thomas_Cincy »

There is a better solution than pressing 200 times the back button.... at least it worked for me.

in your folder "phpbb3/install" you should have a file "install_convert.php". Open it with your favorite editor and search for "var $batch_size = " then change the value behin it to "200" (something bigger might work as well, I did not test higher values though). Now search for "var $num_wait_rows =" and change the value behind it to "10" (again, larger values might work, feel free to try).

What this does is giving your database smaller chunks of data to work with. I had the same problem like many others with their service provider and this change fixed it for me.

Good luck!

Tom

PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

My database is over 700+MB :-(

How long of a wait will this be? To convert I mean...

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

Tryed it guys all of the above and it does not work? Anymore advice plz?
Jez

ControlThis.co.uk - Your online model shop

Xboxsosmart

Re: BETTER Solution to 500 Internal Server error !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Xboxsosmart »

Thomas_Cincy wrote:There is a better solution than pressing 200 times the back button.... at least it worked for me.

in your folder "phpbb3/install" you should have a file "install_convert.php". Open it with your favorite editor and search for "var $batch_size = " then change the value behin it to "200" (something bigger might work as well, I did not test higher values though). Now search for "var $num_wait_rows =" and change the value behind it to "10" (again, larger values might work, feel free to try).

What this does is giving your database smaller chunks of data to work with. I had the same problem like many others with their service provider and this change fixed it for me.

Good luck!

Tom
This won't work on most people's database because you need to delete or rename that DIR to get the forums working ;)

Pricelessparrots

Post by Pricelessparrots »

This is rediculous, i have a DB if 17mb, and must have pressed that back button at least 200 times. and refreshed then continued to convert.. Bed time now will try again in the morning.. Surely the mods should do something about this issue...
Paul
Regards
Paul

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

Kevin told me about this so take a look and thanks Kev for this little one!!
by Kevin Clark on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Kevin wrote this elsewhere a couple of days ago. It refers to easyphp1.8 http://www.easyphp.org

Easyphp has a www folder.
Whatever you put in there acts like your servers public_html folder.

So, put phpBB2 and phpBB3 into www.

Go to the big e icon and choose configuration>phpmyadmin

Make a database for phpBB2 and run the 2x installation (click the e and choose localweb and then phpBB2). By default the database username is root and there's no password.

Now you have phpBB2 installed you need to get your database for that and restore it using bigdump (just google it - very easy to use).

You will now have your 2x board running on your PC.

Now make a database for phpBB3 and run that installation for that.

Now choose the converter option and it will convert your 2x database.
Jez

ControlThis.co.uk - Your online model shop

Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

JezUK1 wrote:Kevin told me about this so take a look and thanks Kev for this little one!!
by Kevin Clark on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Kevin wrote this elsewhere a couple of days ago. It refers to easyphp1.8 http://www.easyphp.org

Easyphp has a www folder.
Whatever you put in there acts like your servers public_html folder.

So, put phpBB2 and phpBB3 into www.

Go to the big e icon and choose configuration>phpmyadmin

Make a database for phpBB2 and run the 2x installation (click the e and choose localweb and then phpBB2). By default the database username is root and there's no password.

Now you have phpBB2 installed you need to get your database for that and restore it using bigdump (just google it - very easy to use).

You will now have your 2x board running on your PC.

Now make a database for phpBB3 and run that installation for that.

Now choose the converter option and it will convert your 2x database.
This will probably not work because thats phpBB2 and not phpBB3.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

If you actually read what you quoted, you will see that it gives instructions on how to load your phpBB2 board locally, so you can run the convertor locally. Then you make a backup of your newly converted 3.0 board, and upload it to your website.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”